Fall Updates

Oh, my poor neglected blog that I am updating mostly so that the first thing you see when you come to this page won’t be my driver’s licence picture. Honestly, what was I thinking?

Some updates.

I have had to give up coffee.

It has been about three months since I realized coffee was making me feel very unwell, and I’m still in mourning. I thought I was getting closer to acceptance, but now cooler weather is hitting and I’m realizing the impact of waking up when it’s dark and cold this winter and having to drink….tea.

I like tea. But tea is not coffee. Not coffee at all.

Coffee. I miss you.

Next, I have a child who is playing a competitive sport. A child of mine!  She has my nose and freckles, but other than that she is hardly recognizable as belonging to me. We have the basketball schedule for the next few months, and it is essentially going to rule our lives. This was not supposed to happen when I decided that having children was a good idea. Genetics alone should have made this impossible. Plus? I can’t pick up a coffee on the way to a cold gym on an early Saturday morning, and all I can do to console myself is to be grateful that I am not at a hockey rink.

Finally, my older daughter is taller than me and has started middle school. She is playing the alto sax and is making magnificent sounds while playing her scales. She also had a story published in an anthology from a contest that she entered last year. How absolutely wonderful is that?

12 Responses to Fall Updates

1. Ursula Ursula says:

Hi Finola,

I so enjoyed reading your blog. Sorry about the coffee situation knowing what it meant to you. The exit must indeed be painful.

About your two wonderful daughters! They are so brilliant but having parents like you and Tony helps them a great deal in whatever they choose to do. They always have had and always will have, as much support as they need from you. I’m sure schedules can be very difficult to work around, but just think of the future – no long line-ups to see No. 2 play in big competition. Likewise No. 1, perhaps you’ll be sitting in an auditorium enthralled and saying to the person beside you “That’s my daughter.” Wow!

Will you put up a copy of the piece Nora had published. I would dearly love to read it.

Love you all, Ursula.

Finally Finola, I am so glad you have started to blog again.

• Finola says:

Ursula, I’m sure you went through just as busy times with football matches and practices. It’s busy but there’s nothing like seeing your kids excelling at something.

I will send you the story, she will be thrilled to share it.

We love you all too, and thank you for the kind words.

May I humbly suggest hot chocolate? I’ve never been a coffee drinker, but lately have discovered the joy of wrapping myself around a hot mug in the mornings at work… so I’m really starting to see the appeal of coffee, if I could just get past the taste ;).

That is SO COOL about the anthology!!!

And in the “this was not supposed to happen” department, it looks like I’m running risk of becoming a karate-mom. We put Meena in karate as part of a program with the daycare. I thought it would be good for focus and self confidence – and it’s possible it is – but I never intended for it to be a 3-days-a-week, completely-kill-two-evenings, and-we’re-supposed-to-do-homework-when-? kinda thing. I was listening to some idle chit chat in the waiting room, and one mother had been there since 4:30 (this was at 7 and she wasn’t leaving any time soon), with successive children’s lessons/teaching/comp-team-practise. How to introduce balance without over programming? Oh, and maybe find time for some extra-curriculars for her sister? I’m a little stressed about it. But Meena finally, months and months after her contemporaries, has earned her last “stripe” and is ready for her yellow belt test… so of course I signed up for another year. :/

I’m sorry. I just hijacked your comment thread with another misplaced blog post. You and Allison may want to start a support group 😉

• Finola says:

Hot chocolate would definitely be soothing in the morning. What a nice treat!

On karate, you and I can commiserate over our lost evenings when we can sneak in a moment somewhere, sometime. Probably on Facebook while we’re sitting on the sidelines of a kid activity.

I love your comments…not hijacking at all 🙂

Where did I go wrong? How could a child of mine like coffee more than tea? I’ll never understand it!

If you’re busy with Niamh’s and Beatrice’s activities now, think what it will be like when the skiing season starts up again. Your and Tony’s weekends will be busier than your work week.

• Finola says:

Mom, it’s kind of your fault on the coffee. You were the one who made sure there was fresh coffee for me in the mornings when I got up. There was nothing better than that!

Yes, ski season won’t even be a break for me this year because we will be dividing and conquering the driving.

4. OMG … no coffee?? You poor thing!!

5. sigh. no coffee. I just, I feel for you 😉 Sounds like a busy Fall either way!!!

Thanks, and indeed, life is busy!

7. Mary Lynn says:

So sorry about the coffee! I would find it very hard, too. My mom had to give it up a few years ago, and I’m very much like my mom in a lot of ways, so I won’t be at all surprised if I end up needing to give it up at some point. And as nice as a cup of tea can be, sometimes it’s just not the hot liquid you’re craving.

8. Laurie says:

What a fabulous writer you are – I can see where you oldest gets it from. I cannot fathom giving up coffee, you have my sympathy.