In a Rut

This is the worst writing rut I’ve hit in a long while. I haven’t been blogging and I haven’t been writing anything else either. I miss it. I was hoping my writing would get kick-started again this week with a writing class that I had signed up for, but I got a message last week that my class was cancelled due to low enrolment. I am so disappointed.

In other news I’m changing jobs in a couple of weeks and I’m quite excited about it. It’s a lateral move, and I will still be a government minion in the same department, but I’m ready for something new. Of course change is always scary but I think I’m dealing better with it as I get older. I just need to make sure that I take for myself lots of down time, coffee and maybe a hug or two, I should be all right.

And we just got back from a week in Florida, staying with my Dad and Roberta. I think they saw our droopy shoulders and tired eyes when we arrived, and they spoiled us even more than usual. We have a lot to be grateful for to be given a week away in the sun each year. I have came back with my head up a little higher and a bit more of a spring in my step after a difficult couple of months. Thank you so much Dad and Bobbie!!

beach2

Spot the Canadians

9 Responses to In a Rut

1. The Maven says:

It’s all good, Finola. You’ll find your groove again. I forced myself to write something last night too. Sometimes just clearing the air is all we need. Glad you had a blast in Florida! I might be a wee bit jealous.

2. writewrds says:

Hang in there, Finola. The writing will come. (This post is a great start…: )
    And hugs!

*Hugs*. I hear ya. Good for you on sitting down and writing, hopefully it’s the road out of the rut? And congrats on the new job, lateral or otherwise! Hopefully a change will help. At least “scary” can get the adrenaline running :).

If you’re looking for a kickstart, I’ve been toying with asking around to see if anyone is interested in doing some of the exercises in “What If…” together (or, rather, doing them and then getting together to discuss/swap notes/whatever, or even just discussing online). Might this interest you? I’m about to start an exercise about dialogue, when to write it out and when to summarize, because I have NO CLUE in that department.

4. Laurie says:

I know I said this on FB but I’m SO SORRY about you class. I hope it runs in the spring term.

I had to laugh when I saw your Florida photo. When I was at the beach with my MIL (actually step MIL but that usually seems unwieldy), she made me laugh by pointing at the people in the water and saying “Look at all those nice Canadians!”

Thanks Laurie. I hope you love your class coming up.
    It really is so true about the Canadians on the beach. The water is way too cold for the locals.

6. allison says:

January-February generally leaves me feeling in a rut on multiple levels (yeah – a rut that needs an elevator), so I totally hear you. Maybe the new job (congratulations!) will spur new creative directions. I’m still stubbornly resistant to change, but maybe dealing with it a miniscule bit better as I get older. (Also, this made me remember when we stayed at a hotel in Florida for one night after getting back from our cruise, and we were the only ones in the pool, with everyone who came out on the deck saying ‘oh – Canadian?’)