Leaving Downtown

There are a lot of things that I will miss now that my office has moved out of downtown Ottawa:

• Hanging out in Confederation Park at lunch
  • Being close to all different types of restaurants
  • Having a coffee shop on every corner
  • Doing yoga on Parliament Hill
  • Going to Rideau Centre at lunch for errands. (OK, I only went there once a year or so because I hate shopping, but still, I totally could go any day I wanted.
  • My bicycle commute along the river
  • Running along the canal at lunch
  • Meeting downtown friends for lunch
  • Being able to renew my health card on a coffee break, after having picked up a coffee on the corner of my choice
  • Bank Street, Elgin Street, Sparks Street
  • People watching

Things that I like about the move:

• Walking to work year round
  • Passing Bridgehead on my way to work
  • Running along the river at lunch*
  • Having lunch with Tunney’s friends
  • A revitalized Tunney’s Pasture that will be really really nice by the time I’m ready to retire

Things I won’t miss about downtown at all:

• Working in a building where elevators free-fall and stairwells are so narrow that taking the elevator is probably safer

Things that have been difficult to adjust to:

• Really bad cafeteria coffee
  • Workplace 2.0**. i.e. Government cramming more people into smaller open concept spaces  and telling us that we like it.

*Note that no actual runs along the river have happened yet. My inertia has been acting up like crazy.
**Yes, it really is called Workplace 2.0. I can’t make this stuff up.

18 Responses to Leaving Downtown

1. Tony says:

Maybe the tweeks in WorkPlace 2.1 will help.

2. Coffee is crucial. Bridgehead along the way is great! Walking to work is wonderful.

I hope it all falls into place soon and that you enjoy the new place sooner than later.

*Running during lunch would just make you all sweaty anyway.
    **Seriously?! Seriously?!? *smh*

Of course you could make this stuff up, but why would you want to? What’s that saying? Management is dumber than fiction?

4. twohandsfull says:

Walking to work sounds divine!

5. JoeGirl says:

Could ALSO mean lunch dates with your gal pal, Joe!

6. allison says:

It’s tough to see if pros or cons come out ahead, although walking to work is huge. Let’s make that coffee date. I need to figure out where Tunney’s Pasture is. And I’ve lived in Ottawa for almost thirteen years. Sigh.

• Finola says:

I’ve lived here all my life and I still get lost whenever I go anywhere not in my immediate circle. Being directionally challenged may be another thing we have in common?

7. Sid says:

Boo hiss to open concept office spaces. No one likes those things and productivity goes down. You have my condolences.

That said, walking to work past a decent coffee shop would make the transition a little more tolerable. Extra tolerance may come in the form of a small bottle of Bailey’s in your desk to flavour that morning coffee 🙂

• Finola says:

I think you’re right about productivity going down. There is a lot of data on that according to the reading I’m doing. I wonder what the data would say about Baileys and productivity? Seems like some research is in order.