Charles

I had been standing, clapping and cheering for the marathon and half-marathon runners for well over three hours,  just past the 10K mark. I had seen Tony, Kaitlyn, Erik, Gerry, Liz, and so many many more runners go by. Finally, there was no one left in sight and the people I was hanging with – wonderful people! – and I were packing it up when we saw one very small group in the distance. We all put down our gear, some pulled their noisemakers back out of their bags, and we waited. It was worth the wait.

Charles

9833 - Charles BUCKNER - Ottawa - 8160 - 4:39:57.3 - 4:21:57.3 - 12:25 - M80+ - 2/2 - 4309/4311 - 2:05:42.1

According to @viva_lara who was volunteering at the water station at Tunney’s Pasture, Charles is 87 and lives in an assisted living care facility.

Congratulations to everyone who ran this race weekend in Ottawa, but especially to Charles. He really made my day.

This entry was posted in race weekend and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Charles

1. Tweepwife says:

This is totally inspiring! What a great man! Thanks for sharing

2. Monica says:

Oh that is such a sweet picture, well done Charlie x

3. Maranda says:

Oh my goodness this made me smile. Thank you for sharing!

4. mamad123 says:

We watched Charles walk past at about the 3k mark. my girls asked why he was walking with a cane. My answer was: ’cause he is AWESOME!!!

5. allison says:

Made of pure awesome.

6. Sid says:

That’s so cool. I love the range of ages and body-types that get out and do these things. Of course, the last time I ran the half, I was passed by an 80 year old partially-blind woman running with a partner. Not so cool that. Good for her, just not me 🙂