Run Blog Wrap Up and My Half-Marathon Playlist, 2012 Edition

I haven’t formally pulled the plug yet, but it is very unlikely I will be running the half marathon at the end of this month in Ottawa. Stoooopid injuries.

I trained well, and two months ago I was on track to beat my time from last year, but then things started to hurt. I went to physio and tried to work through it, but my pace suffered and the pain kept coming back. I kept trying, and I even ran the entire 21.1K three weekends ago, but after that I could hardly walk or climb stairs for a week.

So I took a break from running for two weeks to try to recover, and then I went for a slow 15K run last weekend – that ended up being only 10K in the end. Wednesday morning I woke up early to see if I could do a slow 5K, and I only finished 2K before stopping to walk.

I had decided already that this would be my last half-marathon, and that I would drop back down to 10K races in the future. The training time needed and the wear and tear on my body was making race preparation not fun anymore; if it wasn’t fun, then why do it? I really wish I could have finished this one last race, but it’s not worth injuring myself.

So I’m wrapping up the run blog for this year – unless I change my mind, rest and stretch between now and race day, and then just go for it and see what I can do. Yes, I know, stoooopid runners.

Now, who wants a great running playlist?

Finola’s Half-Marathon Playlist – 2012 Edition

Boys Don’t Cry – The Cure
Bleed It Out  – Linkin Park
Your English is Good – Tokyo Police Club
In Between Days – The Cure
Punk Rock Girl – The Dead Milkmen
Feeling This – Blink-182
All I Want Is You – Barry Louis Polisar (Juno soundtrack)
Black Velvet Band – Dropkick Murphys
The Naked and Famous – Young Blood
New Life – Depeche Mode
Sweetest Thing – U2
Awake My Soul – Mumford & Sons

10 Responses to Run Blog Wrap Up and My Half-Marathon Playlist, 2012 Edition

1. coffeewithjulie says:

I totally agree. Disappointing, sure … but worth potential long-term injuries? No way. We want to walk when we’re 95, right? 🙂

2. Katie says:

That’s too bad Finola but the race definitely isn’t worth that much pain! I like your playlist. I may have to steal from it…

3. twohandsfull says:

I have a friend who pushed herself to do her half injured just because she couldn’t face the thought of not doing it and she has barely been able to run 5K since. And that was last September (army run). So not worth it. She wishes she hadn’t pushed herself. You made the right choice.

That really sucks, Finola, but kudos for listening to your body.

5. natsbrain says:

Yeah, it’s frustrating. I’ve had a heck of time getting back into post injury (i.e. I can’t go 5K without my feet killing.) I love the solitude of the long runs, but yeah, it does sort of take over your family life. (Something I find happens with a lot of training. Or maybe it’s just me.)

In A Big Country. Love love love that song. (I expect our playlists are similar.)

6. jenny gee says:

I’m sorry to hear about your injuries, Fin. My sister and I have had a terrible time training this year (e.g. bronchitis, etc.), and I think my Achilles tendons are bruised from a winter of walking in a certain pair of boots plus a different style of running shoe instead of my normal style (they are a lot heavier and more structured). We’re not certain how the 10K will go, but we’re considering really taking it easy…

It’s better to listen to your body – as someone pointed out, you don’t want to wreck yourself. I’m still struggling with an 8K and I haven’t run a full 10K for almost a year now… Sometimes it’s okay to step back.

Enjoy the long weekend, Fin!

7. Cindy says:

It must have been hard to make the decision after the months of training but the potential for long-term problems really does outweigh the run. I’m sad for you though! I think we could be friends IRL based on your playlist. That and the fact that you’re already friends with people I like. If you don’t end up running, maybe I’ll see you cheering along the route 🙂

So sorry about the problems you’re having, Finola. I had no idea it was that bad. As to your playlist, the only song I recognized was The Black Velvet Band, but who the heck are the Dropkick Murphys? What about the version sung by The Irish Tenors or even The Dubliners? Sheesh!

9. Alison Beach Moeller says:

That’s too bad, Finola. But you’re doing the right thing not to run injured. There are other races, although I know this one has been a particular tradition for your family. Rest up, recover, and aim for a 10K in the Fall. There’s nothing wrong with a stretch goal of running a shorter distance FASTER rather than seeing how far your feet can carry you. Or if you want distance without so much impact, think about Triathalons or Duathalons instead.

10. Gabriel... says:

Just based on your playlist I think we should hang out more often. Try finding Skrillex, from his recent-ish ‘Bangarang’ album. Tracks 2,3,4 and 6 are definitely worth listening to… this is track 3, “Breakn’ a Sweat” ft. Members of The Doors (yes, THE Doors)

And, the theme song to one of the best Canadian movies ever made, Don Felder and ‘Heavy Metal’: