Priory Hell

My cousin Niall and his fiancée Rosaleen have had some truly terrible luck.

In 2007, Rosaleen bought a large two-storey apartment in Priory Hall in Dublin, Ireland. She lived there until October of last year with Niall, when they were given 48 hours to evacuate the building over fire safety concerns. There are now 250 residents living in temporary housing. Until now, the city has been paying the costs of the emergency living arrangements, but this may end soon. This means that residents would be responsible for paying their rents as well as their mortgage payments in an uninhabitable building. It is devastating.

There were problems with the building from the very beginning. During construction the site was shut down for safety concerns. When Rosaleen moved in and first turned on her water, there were leaks everywhere and her new hardwood floors were ruined. After the floors had been replaced, there was a period of many days of rain, resulting in more water leaks and more ruined hardwood floors. Rain in Ireland is hardly unexpected.

There is a long long list of the problems that have now been found in this building, but the worst of it is that the fire barriers that were shown in the original project drawings were never actually built. If a fire started, it would spread quickly.

What on earth was the builder thinking?

The developer of Priory Hall, Thomas McFeeley, has declared bankruptcy which will make things that much harder for Niall and Rosaleen and all of the other residents to get their money back and recover from this mess.

I am so upset for the two of them and I hope with all my heart that this awful situation can be resolved soon. I fear that it will take a while.

I would love it if you could please support Niall and Rosaleen by ‘Liking’ their page on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-The-Priory-Hall-Residents/208932465841738?sk=info

I am sending them all my love and best thoughts in the meantime.

8 Responses to Priory Hell

1. writewrds says:

Done, Finola. That’s just awful — and so unjust. The should not have to suffer for someone else’s actions.

This is unbelievable, Finola. When I started reading the story I assumed it was an old/converted building, certainly not something built recently. That the builder can just declare bankruptcy and walk away is disgusting. This is about more than selling a lemon – surely there’s some criminal negligence here! What if there had been a fire??

• Finola says:

I should have mentioned in the beginning it was a brand new building. I agree that there is criminal negligence involved, and thank goodness everyone was safe.

3. Cathy C. says:

Hi Finola,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your cousin’s building trouble. That is really horrible. I remember a friend of my brother-in-law had the same problem out in Vancouver a number of years ago (11?). I thought inspectors were supposed to make sure building codes were adhered to before the permit allowing people to move in was issued?! Anyway, I’m glad your relatives are in safe(r) housing rather than living in that fire trap whatever the financial implications are.

• Finola says:

The inspectors should indeed have caught these problems. I’m not sure how any of this happened but I hope they find out and go after everyone responsible. Do you knwo what happened in the end in Vancouver?

4. Mary Lynn says:

What a terrible story. How could there not be more protection for consumers? How could the inspectors not be held accountable. I clicked like on the FB page.

Thank you Mary Lynn. I hope the inspectors, the builder, and everyone else involved is held accountable one day soon. Much appreciate your support.