Operation Release 10 Pounds

When I turned 40 this past summer I was in pretty good shape. I was running, biking, playing tennis and eating well. When I stepped on the scale on my wedding anniversary at the end of August, I was quite proud to have gained only five pounds over the course of fifteen years of marriage, while producing a couple of children to boot. I’m sure I could have still zipped up that wedding dress had I tried.

Oh but how quickly things can change.

Fall weather arrived and I turned to comfort foods. In parallel, my 40-year-old metabolism ground to a halt. When I stepped on the scale on January 1 2012, I was a little shocked.

My first week back at work in the new year was healthful. I watched what I ate, and by the first Friday I was down two pounds. Then on the weekend I ran 12K and did a workout with weights at Marshall’s. Being the weekend, I relaxed my eating a little and by the end of the weekend I was back up 1.4 pounds for a net loss of only 0.6 pounds after a week of eating (mostly) well. Gone are the days when I was a student when I could go for a 3K run and be guaranteed to lose a pound.

Since I like to share way too much information via social media, I posted my woes on Facebook and Twitter, and before I knew it I was signed up for a nutritional workshop with the lovely JoeGirl, and writing about it here on my blog. And now that I have written all of this, I will be accountable to you Dear Bloggy Reader. I will not be reporting weekly or anything like that, but I did want to let you know what is going on so that I will be motivated to try harder. I may even have to resort to drastic measures and cut back on red wine too, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. At least there is always coffee.

My goal? To be down at least five pounds before I go to the U.S. later this month so that I can shop a little. Also? It would be nice if my pants fit me again because my wardrobe choices are a bit too limited at the moment, and although my workplace is pretty casual, I don’t think I could get away with my stretchy yoga pants.

______________

P.S. The workshop with Joanne was great! Interesting and loads of fun too. If you get a chance I would highly recommend meeting with her. Check out her post about our evening  here.

How do you manage keeping fit and healthy year round?

8 Responses to Operation Release 10 Pounds

1. JoeGirl says:

Beautiful. You ARE doing this!
    Did you revisit the homework from the workshop? What’s your plan? I will help you every step of the way. Yahoo!

2. I remember those heady days of my early 20’s when I could eat 2 pieces of cheescake and follow it with one good workout and never even notice the difference…lol. Good for you for striving to hold yourself accountable (by sharing your intentions with others).

In honesty, I find exercising hard to fit in, and being around my family (DS 11 polished off an entire pizza for dinner by himself on Friday, and DH’s idea of snacks is a meal of cheesy nachos) is not easy in terms of healthy eating. I watch what I eat Sun-Thu, and let myself indulge more on Friday night and Saturday. I’ve been trying to step up to a 30 minute daily walk with the dog, but it’s challenging this time of year. I went cross country skiing today and felt fabulous when I got home, and I try to hit the gym once or twice a week. It’s a bit hit and miss, but at least it’s something.

Finally got around to updating my blog roll with your new blog address. I was missing you:)

• Finola says:

I find it hard to fit exercising in too. I just wish I could always make it a priority instead of it being the first thing that I drop when times get busy. Signing up for a race is always a good motivator for me. Ottawa Race Weekend, here I come.

3. allison says:

Good for you. I’m kind of a wreck at the moment from a healthy eating and exercising point of view. I have bad feet and a bad back and my airways frequently take a powder for the winter, so whenever I get into a good exercise routine it’s always highjacked by some kind of illness or injury. As a result, my eating has to be impeccable. And it’s not. I resolved to be fat and happy on our recent vacation (i.e. not be miserable about what I couldn’t change in the short term) and managed pretty well. I am now resolving to be more virtuous, but the plain fact is I’m never going to be back where I was before kids. And I’m mostly okay with that – I just want to be healthier.

• Finola says:

I like your vacation attitude because it would be terrible to not enjoy a vacation for such a superficial thing. And I too will never be the same as before kids, but I don’t mind that – I love it when the kids look at my squishy belly and know that i am proud of it because it is where they came from.
      Cheers to being healthier though 🙂

You go girl!! Can I make a teeny, tiny suggestion though? You might find it easier on your sanity to focus goals around things you can control, like eating habits or exercise, rather than results, like a certain number of pounds by a certain date. Scales can be capricious! And you need to be proud of yourself when you do good, regardless of what the scale chooses to do that week.

But enough of the unaskedfor advice!!! Either way, we’ll be here to cheer you on! And we’ll have to get together for tea. Herbal. No sugar 🙂

Awesome advice Sasha. And my goal is really just to have my clothes fitting me better. Let’s do that tea soon!