So I got some flack for my post about weekend balance. Kind flack, but flack nonetheless. I was told my expectations are too high, that I need to lower my standards, that I shouldn’t expect closets to be organized until the children leave home. I do appreciate this feedback, truly I do, because it is nice to know that I am not the only one who has a hard time keeping up with all of the demands at this stage of life.
I think what I didn’t convey properly in that post is that I am not a perfectionist or a neat freak, and in fact I am quite comfortable with not having the perfect garden or just the right accessories for the living room. There is however a fine line between not having a perfect home, and the chaos that I feel like I have been living in. In that spirit, I have decided it is time to update my monthly To Do list.
Things I would like to accomplish in December:
- Complete Christmas shopping before December 24.
- Send out Christmas cards with the annual braggy letter so that they actually arrive before Christmas. Except perhaps for people overseas. See, I am realistic.
- Renew Niamh’s health card. It has only been expired for a year or so.
- Renew Niamh’s passport which is not actually expired yet but will be by the time we travel to the U.S. at the end of January.
- Ensure the snow tires are installed on the second car (Tony, this one is for you; that’s allowed, right?).
- Hair appointments for myself and both girls.
- Work out three times a week.
- Enjoy time with friends and family.
There are many more things that I would like to get done, but with December being such a busy time, I’m going to leave it there. The organizing and cleaning can wait until January!