Time To Resurrect the To-Do List

So I got some flack for my post about weekend balance. Kind flack, but flack nonetheless. I was told my expectations are too high, that I need to lower my standards, that I shouldn’t expect closets to be organized until the children leave home. I do appreciate this feedback, truly I do, because it is nice to know that I am not the only one who has a hard time keeping up with all of the demands at this stage of life.

I think what I didn’t convey properly in that post is that I am not a perfectionist or a neat freak, and in fact I am quite comfortable with not having the perfect garden or just the right accessories for the living room. There is however a fine line between not having a perfect home, and the chaos that I feel like I have been living in. In that spirit, I have decided it is time to update my monthly To Do list.

Things I would like to accomplish in December:

• Complete Christmas shopping before December 24.
  • Send out Christmas cards with the annual braggy letter so that they actually arrive before Christmas. Except perhaps for people overseas. See, I am realistic.
  • Renew Niamh’s health card. It has only been expired for a year or so.
  • Renew Niamh’s passport which is not actually expired yet but will be by the time we travel to the U.S. at the end of January.
  • Ensure the snow tires are installed on the second car (Tony, this one is for you; that’s allowed, right?).
  • Hair appointments for myself and both girls.
  • Work out three times a week.
  • Enjoy time with friends and family.

There are many more things that I would like to get done, but with December being such a busy time, I’m going to leave it there. The organizing and cleaning can wait until January!

10 Responses to Time To Resurrect the To-Do List

1. Samantha says:

I am so with you on this! I need to create a to-do list, I am starting to get overwhelmed! We are also going to visit family for a little more than a week in January, so I need to really think about that as well, since it’ll hit us very fast once Christmas is over. And I have so much to do just before Christmas! Agh, feeling stressy again.. time to go make a list!

2. jenny g says:

I think I’ll create a December to do list as well. That way I’ll at least remember what I’d planned on doing!

I think your list sounds completely do-able. 🙂 Good luck, Fin!

3. I start December with such great ideas, and find there is never enough time. Over the years I have learned to simplify my expectations, to do the things that truly matter and which make me and my family happiest. Often these things are the easiest to do…but also the easiest not to do under the pressure of shopping, cooking, cleaning, organizing, wrapping, decorating, which take up so much of our energy and resources this time of year if we don’t pay attention. Happy December to you and yours.

• Finola says:

Thanks Denise – a very wise perspective from you. I always find from your blog that you have your priorities straight. You always find time to play outside with the family, and make lovely memories 🙂

4. allison says:

Someone’s blog post said “Who else is looking forward to the 25 days of Christmas?” which refers to this thing where they do something Christmassy every single day in December with their kids until Christmas. Every single day. In addition, presumably, to feeding them and not letting the go to school naked. Which is pretty much my to-do list most days.

5. Marianne says:

I like the idea of a list. I’ve been feeling very un-motivated this week, and I know I’ll be paying for it soon as all the things I need to get done are piling up.

A good list also makes for good blogging material!