The Best Week of the Year

We have just wrapped up cottage week…my most favourite week of the whole entire year. This is the fifth year we have rented this cottage on a small lake, not too far from Bancroft. The cottage itself is modern and spotlessly clean when we arrive, and yes, it does have a dishwasher too. The owners even leave us a bottle of wine each year. Perfect, yes?!

We come to the cottage to get away from the world for a little while, and to spend time together as a family. It is really good for all of us to just hang out and be together.

Here are a few shots from our week of rejuvenation. Warning though, I still haven’t had photography lessons since I posted about my bike commute  🙂

First thing is grocery shopping. Hey! Who sneaked those candles into the cart?

First priority for the girls: swimming
First priority for me: Put my feet up with a nice beverage!

This was my view having coffee every morning. Damn, we got lucky with the weather this year. Every morning was like this except for just one day when we had some rain in the morning. Gave us a chance to snuggle indoors though!

Aha! I knew they were up to something.
Tell me I don’t look 40. Lie, if you have to.

What a difference a year makes. Last year they had to wear life jackets whenever they were in the water, unless we were right there with them. This year they swam like fishes, and even did one swim across the lake and back. Amazing.
Also fun was jumping off the floating dock with creative styles. My favourite was when they did zombie jumps…er, we may just have played a bit too much of Plants vs Zombies this week.

There are wild blueberry bushes on the other side of the lake. Small berries, but oh so good!

N learned how to build a fire at sleepaway camp this year, and she did a great job for us. Need I say s’more?
I was lucky to share the week with my lovely Tony. I cannot wait to do this again next year.

This entry was posted in 40th birthday, cottage. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Best Week of the Year

1. Finola, you so do not look 40. No lie required. I love the last pic of you and Tony…great shot.

2. Bibliomama says:

Totally not 40. Also, your cottage hair? Kicks my cottage hair's ass.

You don't look anything like 40, Finola. Since you were a young adult you've always looked several years younger than you were.

Sorry your idyllic vacation is now over, but it sounds as if you all had a super time.

4. Gary Champagne says:

Beautiful pics Finola! PS – you don't look 40 yet 🙂

You look several years away from 40, love the photo of girls by the fire and also one of you and Tony
    Love Monica x

6. D. Gillespie says:

What a beautiful spot. You have found a gem.

I would look forward to this week too if I were you.

darc

7. You SO don't look forty, but the question is, how “old” do you feel in your heart?

Sounds like you had a lovely time. Sweet pics too!

8. Laura says:

I think your photos are wonderful. You do not look 40 – no way! Sounds like the perfect summer holiday.

9. Sid. says:

Looks like a great time (you had me at clean and modern). Congrats on 40!

10. You look fabulous for any age, my friend!

What a wonderful way to spend a week with your family. I loved trips like that as a kid and can't wait to enjoy them with my little ones.

11. Kara says:

Before we bought a sailboat, our summer vacations were always spent at a rented cottage near Haliburton, so I know just what a pleasure it is.

Happy Birthday, and welcome to the club!