Feeling Blue

I have a sick feeling in my stomach today. I did not like our election results last night. Nope, not one bit. I really didn’t expect a majority, and so add shock to that sick feeling, and that is how I feel. I thought that the Conservatives would win, but I thought that it would be another minority government which would have been much easier to swallow. I had hope for what the Liberals and NDP might have accomplished together in that next minority government. Alas.

I am afraid of what may be decimated in the next four years. Health care. Social safety nets. Programs for harm reduction. Party subsidies. The CBC. The arts. Personal rights and freedoms. Democracy.

I don’t believe that I am being alarmist in saying that I am frightened of what could happen in the next four years, and that what we might lose may never be recovered.

This entry was posted in election. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Feeling Blue

1. Margot says:

I too felt shocked by the results. I wondered if people actually listened to the fear mongering threats about liberal overspending and believed those tv ads showing Stephen Harper with his sleeves rolled up working so hard for us. I think in the end , the conservatives appealed to the greed in people by saying “if you don't vote for us, you'll have to pay higher taxes next year”. But how they got away with smearing the others as overspenders – after they spent all that money on the G8 summit making that artificial lake etc! I am worried too what will happen now that they have the majority….

2. Alison says:

I completely agree with your comments, Finola.

I can't figure out why people I know and love vote for them, when the “every man for himself” viewpoint seems contrary to their kind and generous natures.

I find it frustrating when friends claim to vote that way because of an individual candidate, and they aren't interested in the detials of the actual political ideals behind the party.

I also don't understand those I know who are now thrilled to have participated in the potential creation of a society they aren't actually wealthy enough to thrive in.

I really hope I'm wrong, and everything will be OK, but I too fear that we will lose a lot before we all come to our senses. 😦

3. jenny gee says:

I know how you feel, Fin. I was fighting that knot of dread in the pit of my stomach all day today. But I think that we have enough people in this country who do care about all those things – the arts, the CBC, personal rights and freedoms, social safety nets… that we will be able to preserve them somehow. Maybe we will become more creative out of this.

I'm an optimist, generally. And I've decided that I'm not going to cower because of this result. I voted for the Official Opposition, and by golly, they made history this time.

We can protect the freedoms we've only had for so short a time. Because we must.

4. zoom says:

That's exactly how I feel too Finola. If they destroy the things Stephen Harper despises – like the CBC – I don't think we'll ever get them back. I can't believe Canadians could have been so collectively and recklessly stupid.

I don't know many who admit to voting Conservative this time, but the couple I do know said it was because they trusted Harper on the economy and were afraid Layton would mismanage the economy. Do they not realize how much those jets and prisons will cost? And that Layton just wanted to spend *differently* – on health care and child care and education and other things we might actually use?

5. I so hear you, Finola! It's a bit puzzing to me what happened, especially since most people that I have spoken to since didn't vote for Harper! Maybe it's just the crowd I hang out with. If anything, I think that this election result is yet another example of how we need proportional representation in Canada.

6. Chantal says:

i know Finola, I know 😦

I agree with everything you say in your blog post, Finola, and with the posters that have commented in response to it.

With no one to rein him in he is free to introduce the kind of ultra-conservative policies that he favours.

He strikes me as a man without compassion for the poor and disadvantaged. Even his appearance gives that impression. He has the most dead, soulless eyes I have ever seen.

8. I'm scared too. I remember how bothered I was about the negative campaigning against Harper, before he ever got into power. That is, I thought they were creating a monster where there was none.

Now, it seems there was one. This is a democracy, and everyone has a choice. I get that. But the insidiousness of things like the long form census and the contempt of parliament thing really spook me.

That so many people (not a majority, but a good chunk of the population) don't seem to care spooks me even more.

9. Lynn says:

I feel the same way – really afraid. I really hope it's all in my head and I don't really have anything to worry about. I personally don't know anyone who supports the Conservatives…so I really do not understand how they won so many seats. Where are these voters coming from? And where were the thousands who didn't bother to vote?

I wish I could just jump forward in time a few years and get it all over with. It's like living with a big wrecking ball just outside your window…waiting for it to swing.

10. You wrote what I have been feeling since the results came in. Fear. I hate it.

11. Laura says:

I am scratching my head wondering why no one is owning up to voting Conservative. Clearly, there are lots out there, our riding results were mostly PC (so disheartening) I'm wondering if I hang out with only non-conservative people friends/family.(?) That seems unlikely. I don't get it and say ditto to the all the comments above and to your well written post.

12. Sid. says:

I definitely know where you're coming from on this. I've never felt so out of touch with my fellow Canadians ever before. However, I've been taking comfort in a few thoughts: Democracy is very often a pendulum. It will swing back the other way once people get a real taste of the Cons in power. Just remember, the US had to have a whole lot of Bush to get an Obama. Also, this election has given the Liberals the shock-to-the-system incentive they needed to really get their house in order again.

13. Pauline says:

It's a horrible result! Their completely ignorant stance on the arts and Planned Parenthood also sickens me!

Harper also plans on harmonizing most of our laws with the States..

14. hangingdice says:

Personally, I was happy about the results. I feel that the Conservatives had the most realistic plan on how to deal with Canada.

In terms of social spending, perhaps it's time to ease off of the welfare state a bit and let people be responsible for their own lives.

The CBC, if it is truly a high quality media centre, should be able to survive even if it loses Federal funding. Given the extreme liberal bias of much of its content, I'm not sure why the government is still funding it.

Exactly what personal “rights” and freedoms do you think are going to be taken away?

As for democracy, democracy elected this majority Conservative government and I'm thankful it did. It demonstrated that many Canadians understand economics and know what needs to be done for the long term sucess of Canada.

I'm glad that the government has a majority so it can finally accomplish something and start making Canada better.