Half-Marathon Play List – Updated for 2011

If you are like me, a song can make the difference between feeling the pain and slowing the pace, to kicking it up and finishing that run or interval or workout with a little bounce in your step. This year I am running the half marathon at the end of May during Ottawa Race Weekend for the second time. During my training, I’m finding that when my legs were heavy, all it takes is a Mumford and Sons song to play, and I can right away kick it up a notch.

Here is my half-marathon play list updated for 2011, in shuffle mode, so in no particular order. Two hours and forty-eight minutes of running goodness. I would love to hear what your favourite running tunes are.

And if you are looking for Lady Gaga, you can move along because you won’t find any of that on this here blog.

Happy Trails!

The Con – Tegan and Sarah
Mr. Brightside – The Killers
In Between Days – The Cure
Punk Rock Girl – The Dead Milkmen
The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
We Used to Wait – Arcade Fire
All I Want Is You – Barry Louis Polisar (Juno soundtrack)
Til I Am Myself Again – Blue Rodeo
Just Breathe – Pearl Jam
Living Well is the Best Revenge – REM
Ruby Soho – Rancid
Sweetest Thing – U2
One Great City! – The Weakerthans
Fairytale of New York – The Pogues

This entry was posted in half marathon play list. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Half-Marathon Play List – Updated for 2011

1. Kelley says:

Great list! Digging Mumford & Sons at the moment too. My latest kick-ass song is Rolling In The Deep by Adele. Gets me moving! Check it out 🙂

2. Laura says:

I would say this is a great play list for non runners too (like me) I like your taste Finola. 🙂

3. Lynn says:

I loooooove your playlist…we have absolutely identical taste in music, all around. ASTONISHING. There are only a couple of songs on this list that I don't know (and already adore) so I am off to YouTube them pronto.

After reading that list, I feel ancient; I haven't even heard of most of the performers.

My playlist (if I had such a thing) would include, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Louis and Ella (remember Love Is Here to Stay, Finola?), Mario Lanza, Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, John McCormack, Jussi Bjorling, and many other singers from the olden days.

Have any of you youngsters ever heard of these singers?

Great list! I'm still working on my running list, I may have to steal some of your ideas. I bought an iTunes add-on that determines the BPM for you, and used that to create some play-lists by cadence, but there's still some fine-tuning required.

Do you run to a beat? Or is this just music you find inspiring? So far, I've found the beat most helpful for keeping me 'honest' in the walk intervals, when I'm running I just run.

6. Allison P. says:

Can you complete a run without 5 minutes of Eminem?? Of course “Lose Yourself” is the one you NEED!

On a funny note, do have a look at this Eminem rendition:

7. This is a great list Finola! I have been thinking a lot about it, and would add the following (if you are looking for more songs): Supermassive Black Hole by Muse, and Shake It by Metro Station. You've got some Arcade Fire on there, so I would add Keep the Car Running. I would also add What I Be by Michael Franti, and of course, Train in Vain by the Clash. Happy Running! You'll do great!

8. Cindy W says:

I love your list! I'd add a bit more Pearl Jam and some Foo Fighters for good measure. Songs such as Given to Fly and Everlong always give me an extra push. 🙂

Kelley, Thanks for the recommendation and I will check out Adele for sure!

Laura, If you add some Louis and Ella, Nora Jones, Jack Johnson, and mix it all up it also makes a good party mix too.

Lynn, I always thought we had a something in common. Please feel free to send me some of your recommendations too.

Eileen (Hi Mom!), I love a lot of what you list in your comment, and of course Love is Here to Stay. I will never forget it.

Sasha, for me the beat isn't that important and feeling something for the song is much more important. I have a few pretty slow songs listed too, but they still help me run faster.

Allison, Hmmm, Eminem huh. I will have to think about that one.

Girl with flask, Those are great suggestions and I will check them out. The Clash one is definitely one to add.

Cindy, I have one Pearl Jam on there, but I'm not that big a fan *ducks*. Foo Fighters is a good idea though. Thanks!

10. Cindy W says:

I like your list so much that I won't bother you about not being a big fan of PJ. I LOVE them and have seen them many times from the front row. Gotta love a sister with a fan club membership! At some point, I'd like to chat with you about running strategies. I've run several halfs – or is it halves – and one full. You're gonna be great! Especially with that list! 🙂

11. Pingback: Friday Running Tune – R.E.M. | Finola's Blog