We are all busy and there are only so many hours in the day, in the week. With a family, there are many things that have to get done in a week, and this doesn‘t leave a lot of time for all the things that I want to do. Other than waiting for children to grow up, I have no secrets for finding balance, but I always enjoy making a list and I wondered what my list would look like written down in full, showing the things that I need to do and the things that I want to do.
The things I NEED to do are:
- Work full time
- Be a present and committed mother and wife
- Ensure our family is fed, clothed and somewhat clean
- Keep the house in some semblance of order and upkeep.
The things that I WANT to do, in no particular order are:
- Run 3 times per week
- Work out at the gym 2 to 3 times per week
- Incorporate yoga into my exercise routine
- Write 3 blog posts per week
- Write fiction
- Learn to knit beyond a baby blanket
- Keep learning to play the piano, along with my girls
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful friendships
- Read blogs and write meaningful comments on posts
- Watch good movies and TV
- Keep up with my physical and mental health needs
- Start ballroom dancing lessons again
- Get a pedicure
Other than knitting and ballroom dancing, I am doing a bit of all of these things, but I am not doing them as often as I would like. Still, I think I have found a fairly good balance right now considering the age of my children and my work requirements.
Later today I’m going to stop by the bookstore to buy my next book club book, and then I’m going to get a manicure and pedicure. For the rest of the evening I will spend time with my family, and once the girls are in bed, I will likely tweet while watching TV.