Things I Want To Do

We are all busy and there are only so many hours in the day, in the week. With a family, there are many things that have to get done in a week, and this doesn‘t leave a lot of time for all the things that I want to do. Other than waiting for children to grow up, I have no secrets for finding balance, but I always enjoy making a list and I wondered what my list would look like written down in full, showing the things that I need to do and the things that I want to do.

The things I NEED to do are:

• Work full time
  • Be a present and committed mother and wife
  • Ensure our family is fed, clothed and somewhat clean
  • Keep the house in some semblance of order and upkeep.

The things that I WANT to do, in no particular order are:

• Run 3 times per week
  • Work out at the gym 2 to 3 times per week
  • Incorporate yoga into my exercise routine
  • Write 3 blog posts per week
  • Write fiction
  • Learn to knit beyond a baby blanket
  • Keep learning to play the piano, along with my girls
  • Cultivate and maintain meaningful friendships
  • Read blogs and write meaningful comments on posts
  • Watch good movies and TV
  • Read
  • Volunteer
  • Keep up with my physical and mental health needs
  • Start ballroom dancing lessons again
  • Get a pedicure

Other than knitting and ballroom dancing, I am doing a bit of all of these things, but I am not doing them as often as I would like. Still, I think I have found a fairly good balance right now considering the age of my children and my work requirements.

Later today I’m going to stop by the bookstore to buy my next book club book, and then I’m going to get a manicure and pedicure. For the rest of the evening I will spend time with my family, and once the girls are in bed, I will likely tweet while watching TV.

Not bad.

This entry was posted in hobbies, time. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Things I Want To Do

1. Sid. says:

Good call on the pedicure. I slapped polish on my toes yesterday as part of my official declaration that (regardless of the stupid weather) Spring is HERE!!!

2. Karen says:

I love your lists! Your want list is long, but totally doable. Just tick them off one thing at a time. Well, not the tweeting one, because I assume once you tweet you'll want to do more. 😉

3. krista says:

I can completely relate to your lists, mine are pretty similar. Happy to see that you are getting some things done – it's inspiring 🙂

4. Rebecca says:

That's really great that you are doing most of those things!! It's smart to write it down 😉

5. Laura says:

Love the idea of a mani/pedi. My winter hands and feet need some loving. Your lists are always inspiring and a reminder to put MYSELF on the list too. 🙂

6. Lynn says:

I want to know how you find time for book club. That's the one thing on my list I can't seem to carve out time for – reading. Whenever I have a free second, I usually just read blogs – they are short and easily digested. If I'm waiting in line somewhere, it's a magazine. I used to read dozens of novels a year, now I am struggling to read the three a year I have for my book club.

I'm thinking some toenail polish will help ease this pain :).

Our lists have a lot in common, I think (and, like Lynn, I wonder how you have time for a book club, when I can't even seem to find time for a book ;).

You've got me thinking about my list, and comparing what's on it to what's actually filling my day-to-day. Pretty much all of it is on the list, but there are still some things being neglected – usually the unplugged things, like picking up my guitar, and getting out for long walks now that the weather is nice.

Thanks for this post. I'm going to log out – soon – and go enjoy the nice weather 🙂

I also wanted to mention, I love that cultivating meaningful friendships and making meaningful comments on posts are on your list. All I can say is – it shows.

Sid, I hope it gets warmer soon so we can show off our pretty toes!

Karen, That is so true, and I just need to remember that I can't do it all right away. Slowly but surely.

Krista, Your list notebook is something that I really want to try for myself too.

Rebecca, For me writing it down is half the battle.

Laura, we should go sometime 🙂

Lynn, I think what helps for my book club is that we only meet every 6 weeks instead of once a month.

Sasha, your comment just made my day. Thank you so much.

10. Capital Mom says:

I want to lie in bed for a day reading and eating cupcakes. Hmm. How am I going to make that happen. 🙂