So, I Bought a Bathing Suit

At Marianne’s at Westgate Mall. This is the third bathing suit I have bought from this store, and I will probably never go anywhere else to shop for this most dreaded item again.

The first bathing suit I bought at Marianne’s was a maternity bathing suit. I was pregnant with my first daughter and I had signed up for prenatal aquafit classes. I had outgrown my regular bathing suit, and I went to Marianne’s because of their great reputation. Upon arriving though, I was disappointed to see that they were renovating the store, and that things were a bit of a mess because of this. I looked around on my own for a little while but could not find a section for maternity, and so I asked for help. I still remember that the sales person crinkled her forehead and looked back at me most unoptimistically when I asked about maternity bathing suits. She told me that they might not have any right now because of the renovations, but that she would check in the back for me. She asked me my size, and then she disappeared for a long long while. She finally came back and she was holding three bathing suits. Just three. Feeling discouraged, I took them all with me into the change room.

I tried each one on over my pregnant belly. All three fit. All three looked good! I got to choose which one looked the best, and not which one looked the least worst (you know what I’m saying, right Ladies?). I chose a navy blue one piece bathing suit with some cute orange trim, and I loved the heck out of that bathing suit for my two pregnancies. I rocked being pregnant in that suit, oh yes I did.

About four years later when I was no longer pregnant and I was quite confident that I was never going to be pregnant again, it was time to get a new bathing suit. Back to Marianne’s I went. This trip was a lot harder than the first, as my body was permanently changed from having my two beautiful baby girls. Nothing was fitting right. I was too small on top, and too big..not on top. After trying on many many bathing suits, I finally settled on a two piece tankini, which provided full belly coverage. Not bad. The bottoms were boy cut shorts that hid the parts that I was trying to hide, and the top was all right too. This was a pretty cute bathing suit, and even today I still like this one. The only thing that I don’t like about it though is that the shorts cling when I get out of the water.

So now, after another five years, I thought I deserved something a little newer, and back to Marianne’s I went. Still at Westgate mall, but in a new and larger location, I flipped through the racks once again. I picked out about 10 bathing suits, all two piece, and all belly-covreing. The first and the seventh looked and felt the best, and so I tried them both on again. The seventh. Definitely the seventh. Success! Phew!

Marianne’s is the type of store where you get really great service. If you want help picking out a bathing suit, then the sales people are there and will provide honest opinions. They will help you choose something that works for you no matter what shape or size you are. If you are like me, however, and cringe at attention, they leave you be to choose and try on your own. No one hollered at me once asking if I needed any help in there. It’s a great place.

And after all that, I just know you want to see a picture. So here, it is.

Scroll down…

A little more….

This entry was posted in bathing suits. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to So, I Bought a Bathing Suit

Can we get a picture of you in the suit 🙂

DH

2. I too have always had a good experience at Marianne's. I don't really like the attention of the sales staff either…but on one occasion I asked them to help – and it turned out to be a great experience. They know their stuff. They know their stock. Also – when I shopped at the old location, a well-meaning saleswoman once shooed the husbands away of some other women trying on suits so that I felt comfortable enough to come out and confront the three way mirror. It was HUGELY appreciated!

3. Liisa says:

I love Marianne's for bras. The ladies really know their stuff (especially the one with the glasses on the chain around her neck). You can get proper fitting good quality bras for less than $100, way way less. Which isn't always the case in uncommon sizes or at fancy bra boutiques. It's the only place I go.

The only thing… sometimes I feel like I'm the only one under 65 in there.

4. Hmmm – Been looking for a new swimsuit. Bought one last year but was in a rush and though it's ok, it's not what I really wanted. May be worth a drive in to Ottawa for me…

5. Lynn says:

I like the suit I emergency bought last week at Bikini Village, but next time I will definitely try Marianne's. I've heard nothing but great things about it…plus, the tankini top ROCKS.

Tony, You will just have to take me somewhere hot with a beach if you want to see it.

Jen, That is awesome! Husbands have no place in a store like that!

Fit for a Kid, I LOVE the lady with the glasses. And I know what you mean about feeling young in there, except I don't understand because so many friends of mine say they shop there too?

Denise, If you make the trek to Ottawa please let me know so I can see you 🙂

Lynn, Awesome that you found something that you like already 🙂

7. It looks great and very flattering! I'm glad you had such a great experience!

8. JoeGirl says:

Beautiful, Fin, as I am certain you are *IN* it! Love the colours. Well done xox Joe

9. Laura says:

LOL – I love that you aren't in the photo! As I was scrolling down I thought…will she do it? The bathing suit is really pretty. I will keep that store in mind for future bras & bathing suit purchases.

cute, very cute.
    c

11. Sid. says:

Very cute. And thanks for the great tip. I swore that my most recent attempt at Bikini Village would be my last. I'm not sure who picks the fabric for their swimsuits in my size but I can tell you it's not someone I could ever be friends with. Hope you get to wear your new suit somewhere tropical soon!

Somekindofmom, Thanks!

Laura, Let me know if you go so we can meet up 🙂

C, 🙂

Sid, I think you could be friends with the people who pick the fabrics for Marianne's!

13. LOL … I wondered too … is she going to show us a pic of her in the suit? I hope so! But no, just the suit! haha!

Anyhow, I agree completely. Marianne's is great and actually it can be a lot easier to ask for their help because they really know their stock and what suits which body type. I simply cannot enter a Bikini village anymore. It makes me feel like weeping. So, Marianne's, I'm all yours.

14. ezmy says:

I am forever impressed by people who have successful bathing suit purchases. Congratulations to you! 😀