Hey Metabolism, You’re Being Kind of a Jerk

My metabolism is not pleasing me these days. I would even like to call it a bad name right now, but swearing, at least out loud or in writing, really isn’t my style. But if you could hear what is being said inside my head, you might be a little bit shocked. You see, I am not as sweet as I appear to be, Dear Readers.

Here is the story, and it is probably the same for many of you. When I was in my teens I wasn’t very active. I wasn’t naturally good at sports and I had not yet discovered that I actually liked individual sports like running and biking. I was lucky though, because back then I could eat anything I wanted to without gaining weight thanks to some luck in the genetics department (Hi Mom!)

When I was in my twenties, things changed a little bit. I noticed that my clothes were getting a little tighter with the eating and lack of exercise habits that I had established in high school. Luckily I started dating my now husband Tony in my early twenties, and it was he who helped me discover running, biking and swimming. During the winter months we would go swimming once or twice a week, and in the summer we would bike and run together. I was still only doing fairly light exercise though. Going for a run for me back then was doing 3K once in a while. Still, with that level of activity, I could eat what I wanted and still be fine.

Now that I am in my late thirties (ahem!), I am more active than I have ever been in my entire life. Last weekend I ran 15 kilometres on Saturday and then I did one hour of weight training on Sunday. When I weighed myself on Monday morning, I had gained three pounds compared to Friday. Seriously Scale? WTF? (see?)

I know exactly why this happened, and it is all because of food. That bag of Doritos and a dinner out at Red Lobster were not kind to me last weekend. This is new to me though. I would have been fine ten years ago, but not any longer. I understand the trend that is happening here, and I know this is very normal. The thing is, I turn 40 (gulp!) this year, and I just know that this next decade is likely to be even harder on me than the previous one has been. I know it’s my eating habits, and I know exactly what I’m doing wrong. It is portion sizes at dinner and it is snacking on weekends and evenings that are doing me in. When I’m at work, I find it easy to be disciplined because I don’t have an endless supply of food readily available. It is when I’m at home that it is much more difficult.

If you know me in real life, you might think I’m complaining over not much. I don’t look overweight, but I do know how that I have slowly been gaining weight over the years. I don’t like the way this trend is going and so I want to stop it now.

This entry was posted in 40, metabolism. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Hey Metabolism, You’re Being Kind of a Jerk

1. Nat says:

If you've up the exercise and are going to Marshall's regularly couldn't it be that you're gaining muscles.

Don't put too much weight on what the scale says. (get it… I'm punny.) How do you look/feel?

2. Laura says:

I've heard muscle weighs more than fat. (I wouldn't know though!) If your clothes fit well, I'd bet you're just gaining muscle. You look fabulous Finola.

3. Lynn says:

I completely identify. I'm not overweight – yet – but since I turned 30 there's been an upward gain of two or three pounds a year. It doesn't sound like much , but 10 years later that's 25 pounds, and it's not like it's going to be easier to lose the weight at 50. I need to change my mentality that says that late night cookies and skipping yoga are okay, or there's going to be trouble. Best to nip it in the bud!

4. Liisa says:

I find it hard to balance nutritional needs and hunger when I'm doing lots of training. I don't think we eat enough after a hard training session and then our bodies get ravenous and our defences are down against those less than perfect food choices.

What do you think?

I'm planning to eat more on the weekend (long run Sat morning), but I'm keeping a food journal (even of the treats). That way I can see if I need to cut back and I stay accountable.

5. alison says:

I can sympathize. When I was a child and a teen, I was tall and skinny. I could eat anything and not gain a pound. Then in my twenties, my metabolism sloooowed down and now, at 47, I'm carrying an extra 15 pounds that I really don't want. Good luck with the exercising and changing the eating habits, I know it's hard, let me know if it works.

6. Well, I've seen you in real life and you look positively skinny to me! But I digress … my metabolism has been slowing down since my mid-20s. I'm not impressed at all. But then again, I am more sedentary as I get older, so I suppose the blame for my extra weight can't be totally on the metabolism. I hear ya though, it's a frustrating experience. :p

Nat and Laura, Thanks for your optimism but the new muscles are hiding under the flab from too many chips I'm afraid.

Lynn, True – You are definitely not overweight, but thanks for getting where I'm coming from.

Fit for a Kid, I agree. I know I had a hard time eating the right things for my training last spring. I needed more food, but not THAT much more!

Alison, Thanks for your comment and I'll keep you posted.

Julie, For me, I am a lot more active now than I was in my twenties, and I eat less too so I am blaming my metabolism 100% on this. But that's just me and everyone is different.