What better day is there than New Year’s Eve to finally write about the things that I was to accomplish by the end of November, and to write a few things that I would like to do by the end of January. I don’t think I will make any New Year’s resolutions per se, but I will continue with my monthly (or so) list of goals. Writing them here makes me accountable to you, and you have my permission to nag me if needed.
Here was my list of things to accomplish by the end of November:
1. Make soup. Or else.
I made black bean soup and potato leak soup, both in November, and I published the recipes here. (1)
2. Go into Marshall’s and formally sign up. Work out there at least twice a week.
I am signed up and working out at Marshall’s gym in Hintonburg. There were a few weeks where I wasn’t in at all, so I didn’t quite make my goal of twice a week, but still I am pretty happy with how much that I have progressed, and so I am going to give myself a point. It’s my list, after all. (1)
3. Meet up with a friend or group of friends at least twice for a beverage.
I have been so social lately that I can hardly stand myself. I am stretching my memory a bit here, so if I have missed your name on this list, please let me know. Over the last couple of months I had coffee, lunch or drinks with: John, Laura, Heather Ann, Denise, Brie, Sara, Lori, and Erik. I also had breakfast with some folks, attended two tweet-ups, went to a beautiful wedding, and went to a few parties and dinners with friends over the Christmas season. I had also made coffee dates with Jennifer and Karen, but due to the busy-ness of the season, we have had to reschedule these to the new year. For introverted me, this is a huge list of social activities and I am tempted to give myself bonus points on this one. (1)
4. Get my Christmas shopping 90% completed. This is ambitious, but will make my month of December so much more enjoyable if I can pull it off.
Nope, I started early, but that was it. We were shopping still on Christmas Eve, which I had promised myself I would never do again a few years ago. Bluch. (0)
5. Do one of the following:
a) NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)
b) NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month)
I chose b). I wrote a blog post every day in November and it was awesome. My reader stats skyrocketed last month, and it has been so sad to see them plummet back this month. I will definitely do it again next year. (1)
Since NaBloPoMo was such a big commitment, I had only set out to do these 5 things. I’m pretty happy with my 4/5 or 80%. Yay, me!
So now here are some things that I would like to accomplish in January:
1. Get the kids signed up for the summer camps of their choice so that they are not all full by the time we get around to it.
2. Sort out assorted paperwork that has been hanging over my head: passport, pension, RSP stuff to start with.
3. Meet up with at least two people socially in January (this oughta be a breeze now).
4. Sign up for the Ottawa Race Weekend Half Marathon, and the Riverkeeper Canoe Relay triathlon. Start training in earnest for them both.
5. Make soup.
6. Tackle the Tupperware cupboard
7. Invite people over for dinner. Somehow we always mean to do this, but never quite get around to it.
8. Not buy an iPhone. I really want one. I do not need one.
And I think that should do it for this month. I wish you all a very Happy New Year, and the very best to you and your families in 2011.