Coincidence

I love stories about coincidences. Big or small, there is something about a good coincidence story that makes me think about why things happen the way they do.

The one that happened here yesterday is hardly earth-shattering. In fact you will probably wonder why I bothered to write about it. Yesterday we watched a family movie together – Freaky Friday with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan (no, I didn‘t tell the kids that she is currently serving jail time). It was all right, and didn’t involve characters by the names of Dora, Arthur or Barbie, so it was win-win for all of us. Later, after the girls were in bed, Tony and I watched the second episode of the program Big Love. We rented the DVD, and we will make our way through this series like we did with Six Feet Under. While watching Big Love, the teenage characters in the episode went to a drive-in movie. They were watching the movie….wait for it…..Freaky Friday.

Freaky? No? I told you it wasn’t earth-shattering. But the fact that we rented those two DVDs and watched them on the same day makes you think about the choices we make and when. I also think about what near-misses we may have experienced. What else have we NOT done on the same day to miss out on a funny coincidence.

A lot of coincidences arise when you bump into someone that you know in an unexpected place. Once in London, England my brother and I were on the same train car as someone that grew up close to our house. If we had been on the train just before or just, or if we were one car over, we never would have seen him. I wonder how many times we have such a near miss and don’t bump into that person. With technology today, things like Foursquare etc, will we have fewer near misses? Will we always know everyone who is around us; will we embrace this, or hide from this?

Has technology worked for you to bump into someone you wouldn’t have otherwise? And do you have any freaky stories that happened to you?

8 Responses to Coincidence

1. gryph says:

I have officially become one of those people you can't take anywhere. Walking through a crowd of 30,000 people for Canada Day or Bluesfest? No problem, I could get whiplash saying hi to all the people I know. So, yes. I have freaky running-into-people-I-haven't-seen-in-a-gazillion-years moments, for sure.

There's also the freaky moments of someone coming up to me, calling my name, and my blank stare makes them realize they know another person who looks exactly like me and has my name. Which is freaky, because I don't remember being cloned…

2. XUP says:

My freaky coincidence stories are all way too long for a comment. They involve life-altering moments that wouldn't have happened if some odd quirky thing hadn't happened. I think it's very cool about your two DVDs

Jennifer, I'm not surprised you know everyone. You are a fun and lively lady and always doing something new and interesting. Very cool!

Xup, I would love to hear those stories one day.

4. At the risk of sounding kookie, I think of coincidences as what is “meant to be”. The more freaky events I experience and hear about – the more I am convinced it is the universe unfolding, sending us messages or pushing us along if we aren't listening. Mind you…I also think there is a possibility there is a Loch ness monster. 🙂 lol

5. My husband and I had several 'almost meetings' before we actually met. He was doing a co-op placement in the government, and ended his term on April 30th. I started a summer job on May 1st in the same department and same floor where he was working He would have installed my computer and helped me set it up. Freaky!

Laura, I agree with you, and I think SKOW's comment below your comment shows that. Obviously the universe was working to set those two kids up!

SKOW, so how did you two end up meeting after that??

SKOW, so how did you two end up meeting after that??

8. Paul says:

I still remember running into Quinten on the tube in London after midnight. The strange thing is I used to run into him all the time, but since that night I haven't seen him.

But technology has changed everything. A couple of months ago I ran into a friend here in Toronto, Brian, who grew up on Kingsford, just behind our house on Sandwell. But thanks to FB, we were already communicating and I knew he lived in my neighbourhood. Not the same thing at all.