Some Early Summer Musings

I’m low on blogging material right now. Have others found it harder to keep up their blogs once the warm weather hits? There just seems to be so much going on that I’m not finding the time to put into this right now. I hope it is just a short phase because it is a bit dispiriting. I love blogging and I love being part of this community. How do I get the momentum back?

I’m happy to tell you about my friend Jason’s new blog The “Germ Guy” Blog. I met Jason many years ago when I was a microbiology graduate student at the University of Ottawa. I moved away from research and microbiology to work in a science regulatory environment, but Jason has been working hard with his research and has been busy making a name for himself with his down to earth and easy to understand explanations of hygiene and the importance of microbiology in our lives.

I’m a soccer Mom and I’m still not sure how that happened. Regardless, the Hawks played their last game this evening and they lost…..again. What is the opposite of undefeated? But I am joking as they did win ONE out of their ten games. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t win more games, because they had some very skilled 5&6 year old players who played their little hearts out and never got discouraged. The coaches were always encouraging and kind. I’m going to miss Tuesday’s spring evening gatherings at the park with some beautiful children and lovely families. Better luck next year, Hawk members!

Have you tried Bud Light with lime yet? I’m embarrassed to say it’s surprisingly good. But in a beach girlie drink sort of way, not as in a real beer. At a recent gathering I attended, one woman was drinking one, and was so surprised when she found out what it was. She had thought she was drinking pop. I will be stocking up for cottage week.

I am off work on Thursday for Canada Day and I have decided to take Friday off too. But here’s the kicker: my girls will be at their day camp for both of those days. So now I have two whole days to myself. I am giddy with excitement and now I’m trying to figure out what tasks to knock off my To Do list, while still having some porch time with my book. I may tackle my front garden which is just a complete embarrassment right now. Or I may not. I’m feeling tired out and I need a bit of a rest.

I’m looking for some good summer reads if you have any suggestions for me. I like some lighter fare in the summer so please let me know what you have liked recently.

So yeah. Sorry for this yawner of a post. I will try to do better next time. Honestly. Please come back again when I am smarter. Why is this so hard??

11 Responses to Some Early Summer Musings

1. D. Gillespie says:

I will miss Tuesday night soccer too.

Just finished “Town House” by Tish Cohen. Good summer reading.

2. Katie says:

I read the latest Audrey Neffinegger book (author of the Time Travellers Wife) forget what it was called. It was light and pretty enjoyable. For some super light reading I just read the book Outlander by Diana Galbadon. It was quite good.

3. JoeGirl says:

Fin… Delete that last paragraph. Post was lovely, and real. We can’t all be inspired all the time.

Enjoy your two days. And send me some dates to enjoy a few of those Bud Light Limes together ❤

4. mustangsabby says:

What type of books are you interested in? I myself am an unabashed romance reader, and have lots of suggestions in that genre. 🙂

Blogging gets more exciting for me in the summer, I think because I am more active. I hibernate in winter, and tend to get a bit blue with the lack of sun. When I have more energy, the ideas to blog come faster. Wierd, since I love being outside in the summer.

We took Friday off as well! Yay! Can't wait for Canada Day! Have a great time getting to do some catching up at home and some reading in! Don't forget to do something indulgent like a bubble bath or walk to the store just for chocolate. 🙂

5. I'm with you, Finola. I'm finding it much harder to come up with blogging material in the summer than I did in the winter. But I'm also with @JoeGirl: there's authenticity in this post that makes it well worth the read. So you're “uninspired” post looks pretty inspiring to me! 🙂

Enjoy your days off!

6. XUP says:

The blog world is in a serious slump – it always is during the summer. No one is posting anything really amazing, no one is reading the blogs, everyone is just out enjoying the weather. I am SOOOO stoked for this hot sunnyness they're promising this weekend!! Maybe after BOLO people will get their blogging mojo back??

Darcy, Thanks for the recommendation and I will try to pick it up.

Katie, Oh the Audrey N book would be good in the summer. I have read Outlander and loved it! Really, you found it super light?

Joe, Thanks for your sweet comment. I think the last paragraph actually helped to provoke some of the feedback that I was looking for.
    Oh, Bud Light Lime night is coming soon – how does your weekend look?

Mustangsabby, Thanks for your comment! I read a lot of Canadian fiction…Some of my favourites are Jane Urquhart, Carol Shields, Margaret Atwood, Margaret Laurence,
    Rohinton Mistry…. But I love a good beach book. I usually pick up a Maeve Binchy around summer time, but I would love a good romance suggestion!

Kristen, Aw thanks for the nice words! and I'm glad I'm not alone with this struggle.

Xup, That is good to hear. I am so far behind in my blog reading as well as my posting. I must remember that this is all supposed to be fun and not stressful. I am very much looking forward to BOLO too.

8. I didn't know other bloggers experienced a summer slump…I thought it was just me. I'm think BOLO will be fun and inspiring. Looking forward to it too.

9. Forgot to add – Have a lovely holiday Finola! 🙂

Katie, I was at the grocery store and saw Outlander. I realize now that I read The Outlander by Gil Adamson and not the one you mentioned. It was a great book and I think you would like it too.

11. Two days to yourself! Lucky, lucky! I'd read, read, read! I read a great book recently, The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty. I think you'd like it. (As though I know you…but maybe I do?)