Protecting my Kids

My most important role in my life is to protect my children’s health and safety.

I have taught them: how to stay on sidewalks; to never to run after a ball in the street; how to deal with strangers; how to call 911; not to walk or run with food in their mouths; not to take bites of food that are too big; not to put things around their necks; to always look all four ways when crossing at a corner; to stay away from dogs they don’t know; to be careful on the stairs and around the stove; to always wear a helmet on their bikes; to never get a tattoo (just thought I might slip one in), and not to stick things in their eyes, ears or up their noses.

They are learning to be good swimmers and how to be safe around water. They have been vaccinated and they go for regular health check-ups. We are trying to teach them how to make smart and careful decisions.

I don’t know how to protect my children from a sinkhole.

I cannot stop thinking about the family of four in Montreal. They were watching hockey on TV together when their house collapsed into a giant sinkhole; they did not survive. I just cannot understand how such a random event can destroy a family with no warning, and no opportunity for the parents to get their children out of the house safely. There would have been no chance for the parents to predict, prevent or protect.

As a Mom, I worry an awful lot about the preventable things that could happen. I can also keep myself awake at night worrying about the unpreventable things that could happen. But this one has thrown me.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of the Préfontaine and Charbonneau Families.

9 Responses to Protecting my Kids

Very thought provoking one here – we all try to do the best we can to keep our kids safe – cannot foresee everything in life, I guess – destiny perhaps for that family!!!

2. gryph says:

They did a piece on it on the local news. One of my undergrad summer jobs was working for South Nation Conservation, and my ex-boss was speaking on camera (and doing a great job) explaining it. Generally, the lowlands of Eastern Ontario and West Quebec have leda clay underlying them, from the ancient Champlain Sea that used to be here. It's the clay that, when saturated, just liquifies and causes the slides. Lemieux (in Prescott-Russell township) had a similar slide in 1991 (I think) and it took something like 45 acres of land. Luckily someone had figured it out and had started moving families.

But my thoughts certainly are with the relatives of the family.

3. JoeGirl says:

Fabulous post, Fin. Indeed heart-wrenching. We must use this tragedy to remind us that every moment is precious, and to live with purpose and passion every day.

4. XUP says:

Yes, we're pretty lucky living where we're living that we can protect our kids from so much and keep them safe. There are so many areas of the world where at any moment something can swoop your child away — war, hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, gangs, the list is endless. But a sinkhole? So completely random.

5. It's been on my mind too. So tragic. So senseless. And such a profound sense of helplessness.

And a reminder – that we can't control everything no matter how we want to. We do the best we can to protect our families, and then we have to learn to let go and enjoy each and every day we are given.

6. I cannot stop thinking of the families too…so tragic. Devestating.

7. Chantal says:

I know what you mean. I found that article so hard to read, it was so devastating. And frightening. UGH

8. Loukia says:

That was such a terrible, horrific tragedy. The only comfort I have is that the parents perished as well as the children, because the alternative – the parents having survived this – would have been far worse, in my opinion. All day long I worry about my kids and how to protect them. I really do wish I could keep them in a safe bubble forever.