My Baby is Six Today

My Baby is Six today and I couldn’t be more proud of her. Sometimes I wonder where she came from, because you see, she is really very different from the rest of our little family of four.

For B, life is pretty easy. She is a free little spirit whose philosophy seems to be:

Bring it on. Let’s try something new. I can do anything. I need to talk all the time. Everybody likes me.

That last one is a direct quote, and it was said in such an innocent way that it could never have been construed as being boastful. And she is absolutely correct.

Everyone does like her. When she had a substitute teacher at her after-school program for just one day, this teacher, who was only in her early twenties, came over to me and told me that my daughter was a truly outstanding little girl. And I hear this everywhere I go. She is not a super-genius or future Olympic athlete, but she has an all-round kind of personality where she is good at everything, and she gets along with everyone. Her disposition leads her to see the best in everyone, and she never talks badly about anyone, ever.

On any given day, B will come home saying that she made a new friend, whether it was at the park, or camp, or even at the grocery store. And wherever we go, kids come running up to her; they yell her name, and they more often than not throw their arms around her.

And how do I bring up this child? Me who is full of angst and worry most of the time? Mostly I sit back and let her trust her own instincts. And most days I feel that I will learn more from her than she will ever learn from me over our lives together. I will so enjoy watching her grow.

10 Responses to My Baby is Six Today

1. Oh, Finola! So nice! Happy Bday, B!

2. Lynn says:

I've got one of those — my youngest, who will be three soon. She's just so appreciative of life — she loves just living. She's so friendly and outgoing and everyone loves her. I only hope that I can learn to be more like her.

Happy birthday, B!

Jenn, Thank you!

Lynn, It seems common that the youngest has this sort of personality. So fun!

4. zoom says:

Awww. What a lovely post. Happy Birthday B.

5. XUP says:

Happy Birthday little one! XUP Jr. was like that when she was little, too – very sociable and outgoing, very caring and giving, sunny but also full of concern for everyone and everything. And everyone loved her. She's still very outgoing and socially popular, but the rest of it seems to be on a little haitus while she gets herself through teenagedom. I can see it's still there under the current cloud cover and it does pop out once in a while.

Zoom, Thank you!

XUP, Those teen years huh. Hard to imagine what it will be like right now when my girls are still so young and sweet. I'll bet they come back out on the other side as great adults though!

Very nice post – B will grow up to be a wonderful person. Yes, you are right – we, sometimes learn a lot from our kids.
    Happy Birthday to B.

Anon, Thank you 🙂

9. A very belated birthday to your daughter, Finola!

I appreciate your advice in the final paragraph, from one angst-filled mom to another!

10. I can relate! My son is very much the same, always talking to people and making new friends. Hope her birthday was great!