RunBlog Weeks 6&7 – Seven Weeks To Go.

It has not been a great couple of weeks for me in my preparation for my half marathon in May. The week before last I was supposed to do three runs: intervals, a tempo run and a long run. I managed to do my intervals, but I missed my tempo run. My long run was a very slow 16K at around 1 hour 50 minutes, but I forgot to stop my watch at the end of the run, so I’m just estimating the final time. This is much slower than I was hoping to be, and now I’m not sure that I will be able to finish the half in under 2 hours, 10 minutes, let alone the two hours I was originally hoping for.

I did enjoy the long run though. And one really nice thing happened. I had passed a couple of slower runners, and soon after, one of my gel bottles fell off of my belt. I didn’t notice it had fallen, but one of the runners I had passed took the trouble to catch up to me to give it back. It was very kind. Runners are nice people.

I downloaded two Vinyl Café podcasts to listen to during my long run, and found that listening to a Dave and Morley story was a great way to pass the time while running. Those stories always make me laugh and cry, so if you saw a runner chuckling and tearing up, yeah, that was me.

This past week was really poor for me. I ran my intervals last Monday on my lunch hour, and they went really well. My tempo run would have taken too long to do at lunch, but I forgot to bring home my running shoes from the office, so I never did my tempo run this week either. I was planning to do my long run yesterday (Saturday) but I realized that my running gear is still at the office. It feels bad missing this many workouts, and it makes me so determined to get back on track next week. I wonder if I could squeeze in a fourth run next week instead of my usual three? This could be pretty hard on my tight shin though, so I may try to just forgive myself and move on.

******

Shoot, N and I are hacking and coughing and miserable today. I may not be back on track this week after all.

This entry was posted in runblog, running. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to RunBlog Weeks 6&7 – Seven Weeks To Go.

1. gryph says:

Forgive yourself and soldier on, Fin. You won't gain anything by pushing yourself really hard, except possibly setting yourself back.

That's why I'll be doing weights, core work and leg work today instead of running. The increased heart rate and blood pressure of running would set me back in my battle against my headache (which is starting to tingle back again – shoot). Even those exercises I'm going to have to be careful about. Maybe some good stretching and yoga would help with your tight shin – my trainer said that shin tightness (or shin splints) are usually due to tight calves. Just a thought.

🙂 You're doing great! Don't get down on yourself, there is still time to reach your goal. Just keep swimming!

2. Lynn says:

Are you running at National Capital? My husband is signed up to run the half too, but he has been having a lot of trouble with shin splints so we're not sure if he'll make it. If we're at the finish line I'll watch for you and do extra cheering :).

I'll you read Extreme Vinyl Cafe, once M reads it…

Jen, Thanks for the kind and motivating comment. I'll get there. There's still time too!

Lynn, Yes I'm running in National Capital Race weekend. I hope to hear you at the finish line! But you guys may have all gone home and be eating dinner by the time I get there 😉

J, Thanks! Can you make me some podcasts instead though?

5. XUP says:

I have 2 sets of running stuff — one for at work and one for at home. That way I don't have to schlepp everything back and forth all the time (except to wash it, of course). I've also found my shins and knees are so much better since I started doing a couple of sets of slow lunges after every run. Just a thought.

6. Finola you are doing so well – this is just a little set back. Gosh, I hope I don't have to get up off this couch and give you a running pep talk. lol Lots of us readers are cheering for you 🙂

Xup, I have thought about the two sets of running clothes, but I just haven't wanted to invest in the second pair of shoes and orthotics yet. Maybe I will need to though. Thanks for the lunge tip. I will definitely give that a try.

MM, You sure did make me laugh 🙂
    Sure, get up off the couch and join me for a run. I'm awfully slow right now!