Some Big Questions At My House Tonight

This evening I had to handle some big questions from my daughters. First we talked about how the Easter Bunny makes sure to bring peanut-free chocolate to our house, and then we discussed yet again how babies are made, and then we delved into how a woman knows when she has a baby in her tummy. Oy. I explained everything in correct but simple terms, and answered all of their questions honestly. Except for the part about the Easter Bunny.

But here’s the thing, I actually do want to tell them the truth about the Easter Bunny and all the other magical beings who break into our house at night and deliver gifts to my kids. I want to be honest with them. After all, I didn’t tell my girls that the stork delivers the babies, or that a baby fairy comes and puts the babies in all of the Mommies’ tummies.

I found out all of these truths at a very young age, because I asked, and I got truthful answers from my Mom. I never remember feeling disappointed or deceived after finding out the truth. Also, I grew up in a house with CBC radio playing all the time, and so I was exposed to world events fairly early on, and I think that is good for children (with limits of course). But how can I reconcile with my kids the fact that there are children with not enough food and clothes in the world, with a bunny that delivers chocolate? Why doesn’t he deliver nutritious meals to people who need it?

And as for how that Bunny knows to bring nut-free chocolate to my house, now I’m worrying that the Bunny messed up and brought us the wrong chocolate after all. N has been having some skin reactions every day now since Easter, and I’m questioning the chocolate. All labels were checked, but perhaps some nutty presence during manufacturing was not disclosed on one of the labels in error. I know her skin reactions could be caused by many other things such as a new allergy of some sort, or a reaction to all of the pollens that are starting to come out because of our early spring, but since there is no way to know right now, I’m starting with a two-day moratorium on Easter chocolate to see if her skin clears up.

So the message is clear to my kids. Maybe the Easter Bunny made a mistake. But I would much rather tell my girls that perhaps a chocolate company made a mistake, because quite honestly, that is a much more important message for them to receive.

This entry was posted in food allergies, parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Some Big Questions At My House Tonight

1. gryph says:

If you look at the Weather Network, their pollen forecasts are ridiculously high right now. Poplars ranked a 10.

Hope N's reaction clears up though. 😦

I agree with your honesty policy. As I was growing up, I was given honesty as well. I know some kids' (12-13 year olds) parents wouldn't let them be exposed to classic art because of the nudity. *sigh* Way to make sure you keep your kid sheltered and uncultured. Yay to honesty!

2. Lynn says:

Oh man, I really dislike the Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy/Santa trifecta. It feels like lying to my kids, but I do it because they seem to really *want* to believe. It makes them happy…I only hope it won't come back to bite me someday!

The Captain (our oldest, he's 7) has plenty of food allergies too, and this time of year is always the hardest on him. He seems to react to things we thought were safe, he has trouble sleeping, and develops a terrible cough every year that only goes away in June. I think it's environmental, so maybe yours is too?

Jenn, Thanks for the (as always)thoughtful comment. I think it is likely pollens too. Another reaction tonight even though she had no chocolate.
    And so silly and sad about the art.

Lynn, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Santa etc. And I do tend to think the current reactions are from pollens, but am stopping the chocolate for a couple of days to be safe. N also had the winter cough, a dry night cough all winter long, and it turned out to be asthma. Puffers have helped enormously this year for us. Don't you just hate all of this??

4. XUP says:

One way to debunk the Easter Bunny/Santa/Tooth Fairy myths is to get your kids really thinking about them. Ask them some pointed questions like: where does this bunny live? how does he get around? how does he get into houses? do you think he's real? does he bring chocolate to poor kids or does he bring them real food? why or why not? etc… eventually they come to their own conclusion that it's not real. My daughter hung on to Santa for a long time though over the years she dismissed parts of the myth bit by bit so that by the end Santa was just a nice regular guy who beamed goodies to kids via computer — which he bought online …because he was rich. And when he gets old and dies, his son takes over.

Xup, those are really good ideas about planting some questions in their minds. And your daughter is completely charming.

6. Oh, I can't stand all these wierdo “lies” either! But I feel like such a big meany if I don't go along to some degree. Especially since my daughter, who figures out how EVERYTHING works, seems, like Lynn's children, to really WANT to believe. It totally baffles me. I'll need to follow's XUP's lead I think. And her daughter's version of Santa too! 🙂

Julie, I know what you mean. I keep wondering why N doesn't ask outright, but I think it's because she wants to keep believing. I can't just spoil it for her unless she initiates it or I would feel mean too.

8. learn how says:

Fabulous, what a webpage it is! This blog gives useful information to us, keep it up.