At the beginning of March I wrote a list of 10 things that I wanted to accomplish last month and it’s time to tally up the results. For February I only completed 50% of my list, so let’s see if I did any better this month.
1. I will continue training for the half marathon in May, running 3x per week.
Win. I only missed one workout this month, which I intentionally skipped because I had a really sore right shin, and I wanted to rest it up. This rest did pay off because a few days later I successfully completed my first 18K run ever.
2. I will add in one strength workout a week.
Fail. I just can’t fit in four workouts a week, with two kids and full time work. Once Race Weekend is over, I may drop one run and do the strength training instead. I just can’t do it all.
3. I will make soup once.
Win. I made a fragrant Thai carrot soup. It was a recipe that I had clipped from the newspaper a couple of years ago but never made. After it was assembled and blended, it seemed to lack a little something, so I added some leftover coconut rice to the pot, and some more spices, and it ended up being delicious. My neighbour dropped by as it was almost finished, so I even shared some with her. Things always taste better when you share.
4. I will clean out my bedroom closet.
Fail. I have a zillion excuses, but all I can say is my closet is still in a mess and I need to figure it out soon.
5. I will call a friend to go out for coffee or wine twice.
Win. I had coffee with a neighbour, coffee with a lovely Ottawa blogger, and a drink after work with a dear friend. Jen, you are up for April, my friend!
6. I will keep practicing my French at work – slowly and steadily improving.
Win. It’s coming. I speak French at work all the time.
7. I will get a babysitter at least one time and go out for dinner with Tony.
Win. Tony and I went shopping, and then for late night Mexican muchies and sangria at Agave. Yum and I got some new clothes, so this counts as a Double Win.
8. Finish reading my current book and my book club book. I read every day, but sometimes it is just for five minutes. Life just feels so busy right now.
Fail. Oh. My. I cannot believe I failed a resolution to do with reading. I finished my book club book – The Bishop’s Man by Linden MacIntyre, but my current book is over 800 pages, and I’m not really enjoying it, so it has been a slog.
9. Do a family outing to a sugar bush.
Qualified Win. We did go to the sugar bush, but technically we went in April. Still, we made it before the season ended, so I’m going to call it a win.
10. Be a more patient person. I tried to get Tony agree to judge this one for me, because in all honesty, it is with him that I tend to be the least patient, and I would really like to do better. Understandably, this is my blog, and Tony doesn’t want to put himself out there the way that I do, so I will have to be the one to report back to you on this one. I will be as honest as I can be.
Win. In my own humble opinion, I have been more patient. I am actively working on this. I am letting little things not get to me so much. I feel less anxious when things aren’t done the way I want them to be done, and with the constant state of messiness that my house is in. I’m rolling with things a little bit more. But wait, I’m going to go ask Tony what he thinks. He is downstairs painting (yes, this does mean the basement reveal post is coming soon). I don’t know if he will answer me but I’m going to try:
Me: Do you care to comment on whether I have been a more patient person this month?
Tony: Pause. Yes.
Me: Yes you will comment or yes I have been more patient?
Tony: Yes you have been more patient.
Me: Care to expand on that?
Me: Can I write about this?
That one is huge to me. I am happy.
Grand total, 7/10, or 70%. This is a definite improvement over last month so I’m feeling pretty good. If I were to put together a list for April, it would look so similar to my list for March, so consider the above list my ongoing self-improvement set if goals. That closet had better be clean in May, or you all can seriously nag me.