An Hour of Pure Quality Time: How We Celebrated Earth Hour

We celebrated Earth Hour in our house on Saturday evening. I enjoy this one, and see it as a symbolic gesture to get our children to think about the earth and realize that what we do has an impact on the environment. I don’t believe that the hour in itself has any real effect on the environment, but I do think that it is a great opportunity to talk about our actions and their effects with our kids. It‘s also one hour that is pure family quality time.

My girls are in bed by 8:30 most nights, so we started Earth Hour a little early at 8:00pm. We got the candles set up on the dining room table, and a flashlight close by just in case, and we started out with some homemade cupcakes and a little ice cream for a treat. We then played a couple of board games by candle light – The Secret Door (a great co-operative game made locally), and Trouble. After that Tony read them their stories at the dining room table, also by candle light, and then they were tucked away in their beds soon after 9:00pm. We kept the lights off and took them upstairs with the flashlight.

Before sleep, we always talk about what our favourite part of the day was. All four of us answered tonight:”Earth Hour”. It is a cozy hour, with few distractions. No TV, no computer, no radio, just our family together.

We could do this more often, and my girls would be thrilled if we did. For them, the best parts of their little lives is still the times when they have our undivided attention. And quite honestly they would benefit if we would think to do this a little more often.

Can I just add that I adore my kids, totally and completely, and it’s times like these that make me really notice what this family stuff is all about? Being together, learning from each other, answering their questions, and loving them beyond what I ever thought possible.

Earth Hour to is much more than turning out the lights for an hour. It’s about thinking of simpler times and about what is really important to me.

This entry was posted in family. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to An Hour of Pure Quality Time: How We Celebrated Earth Hour

1. gryph says:

That's so sweet. What a wonderful way to spend Earth Hour. Last year, I spent Earth Hour at my friends' wedding reception, and it was lovely (although the stereo was still going so there was music). This year I was in the restaurant for my friend's birthday, and the restaurant didn't observe Earth Hour. 😛 It was still a good moment, just not Earth Hour. *sigh*

2. There's something about candlelight that makes magic happen. We too had a late dinner with our kids and only turned the lights back on to go upstairs to bed, so much were we enjoying the candles.

I notice on your blog you have just read The Bishop's Man and are now reading New York – it made me laugh because they are both on my bookshelf calling my name.

Jen, some restaurants dim the lights during earth hour. I think that could be a very fun time!

Denise, kids love eating by candlelight, don't they? I really would like to do this more than once a year.
    Oh – I would love to hear how you like the books once you have read them. The Bishop's Man was my book club book and most loved it, with a few on the fence. I thought it was a very well told story.

4. We did the same thing…games night by candlelight. The kids loved it so much they asked to do it every Friday. This week we're going to play word BINGO. lol

5. XUP says:

I've read so many similar stories today. Maybe they should combine Earth Hour with Family Day and make it a whole really special day.

Laura, I would love to hear if you end up doing a candlelight evening regularly, or semi-regularly. I have such good intentions, but I'm so bad on following through.

Xup, What a lovely idea!

7. Hey, we found the same thing with our daughter! We did our first Earth Hour last year and then she wanted to have a candlelight dinner every night. And you know what? It does make even a basic pasta dinner feel more special and intimate! But, like you, my intentions are stronger than my actual resolve to play candlelight board games.

8. Hey, we found the same thing with our daughter! We did our first Earth Hour last year and then she wanted to have a candlelight dinner every night. And you know what? It does make even a basic pasta dinner feel more special and intimate! But, like you, my intentions are stronger than my actual resolve to play candlelight board games.

9. Christine says:

We talk about our favourite part of the day every night too! Though lately, my 3 year-old always says: “I can't remember.”

We used earth hour this year as an opportunity for my husband and I to sit together just the two of us and chat. We haven't done that in a while, stopped everything and just focus on each other. It was much needed!

Next year we'll for sure be including our son, who just recently told me “Mommy, we only have on earth you know!”

Julie, It is so special, isn't it, and it takes so little effort. I'm really going to try more often. Perhaps pizza tonight by candlelight.

Christine, My little one used to always say that too! But now she always says “school” and then we have to prompt her to tell us one thing at school that she liked. It's such a nice cuddly time of the day 🙂