At the Office

I work in a typical government building in downtown Ottawa. I have a cubicle, and it’s fine. I even have a window, but unfortunately there are two buildings about 15 feet away from me. I can see daylight by looking between these buildings, and upwards a little, and I can tell if it’s a bright sunny day out, or if it’s pouring rain, but otherwise I cannot see too much of the great outdoors. One thing I do have an excellent view of however, is my neighbour in the next building over.

My computer faces towards the window, and I can see directly into his office. He has a fairly big corner office, and is usually wearing a tie, so I always assume he‘s a fairly senior sort of person. His desk is perpendicular to mine, and he is facing away from me, but I can see him in profile.

He is so close that the other day I could see that he had an extra large Tim Horton’s coffee, and I could even tell that he had not yet rolled up his rim to win. I ended up missed the rolling, so I don’t know whether or not he won anything.

He is so close to me that I can see his facial expressions, but he never ever looks over. I find myself wondering what I would do if he did. I would kind of like to wave. But I probably wouldn’t. I think that would just ruin the comfortable relationship that we have developed.

Perhaps a nod and a half smile would do it though. Or a wink! Yes, definitely a wink.

8 Responses to At the Office

1. Ian says:

I've been in a similar situation. Always wondering if she ever looked my way and say “my god, what a weirdo.” I do a lot of chair dancing.

MadGoat

Stop looking at me.

3. XUP says:

That's cool. Have you imagined an entire back story for him? I think it would be fun to take your relationship to the next level – it starts with a wave or a nod of acknowledgement every so often and eventually escalates into hand printing large signs with messages for each other.

Ian, I wish my guy would do some chair dancing. He's not that kind of guy.

Anonymous, I KNEW it was you!

Xup, I love the idea of putting a message up in the window. Maybe I can finally get his attention 🙂

5. gryph says:

Hmm, thinking of my view… I could write a sign to the pigeons… or have a graffitti duel! 🙂 Except it would probably be some occupational health and safety issue if I left a hand-printed graffitti board in my window overnight…

Sounds fun having building neighbours. 🙂 Do let us know if you make contact!

Jen, Were you there the day the peregrine falcon caught a pigeon right outside RM's window?
    And I will keep you posted on my neighbour 🙂

7. Just don't do what Miranda (Sex and the City) did to the guy she watched every day from her apartment window. 🙂

Laura, So funny! I loved that show and I remember that episode. Soooo cringe-worthy!
    And I will try to restrain myself 🙂