I Am a Cartoon Character

Did you know that people can slip on banana peels in real life, and not just in cartoons? Yes, today it happened to me, I slipped on the proverbial (and unfortunately, literal) banana peel.
I had gotten off of the bus with two other Moms from our neighbourhood and we were all walking in the same direction. We had crossed a field and we were climbing over the snow bank to get to the road. I had found some sure footing, and so I wasn’t worried about slipping on the icy snow as I stepped down. The next thing I knew I was lying on the ground in a heap of humiliation. It was one of those falls where I was caught completely off guard, not a chance of catching myself.

Once I had gotten up and brushed myself off, one of the Moms I was with noticed the banana peel. I had stepped right onto it as I stepped off of the snow bank. Seriously.

Falling as an adult is a lot more shocking than falling as a child. Or have I just forgotten what it is really like? Luckily I wasn’t hurt – just a slightly swollen knee, but I was pretty embarrassed – about the words I let slip in the moment, and about being so undignified in front of some peers who I don’t know very well.

Ah well, these things happen to everyone. Well, maybe not the banana peel part, despite being a pop culture staple, it never really happens, but you know what I’m saying. Now if you excuse me I’m going to go and ice my knee.

7 Responses to I Am a Cartoon Character

1. gryph says:

Wow, Finola! Did you look for a hidden camera around? I never thought there was any truth to that old saw! I hope you didn't bruise yourself too badly. 😛

2. Jeff says:

I hear that bad things happen in threes.

Watch out for piano movers, particularily the guys hoisting the piano up through a second storey window.

More importantly, stay away from anvils. Anvils have a nasty habit of unpredictably dropping from the sky at inopportune moments. Warning signs for falling anvils sometimes go unoticed, free bowls of bird seed are a dead giveaway.

Stay safe.

3. JoeGirl says:

I’m sorry, Fin, but I am laughing so hard only dogs can hear me 🙂

Jennifer – I never saw a hidden camera, but perhaps! And my pride was more bruised than anything else…

Jeff – The second of three things happened later last night when I broke the lid of a crystal sugar bowl. Shards of crystal were all over my kitchen counter food prep area. No anvils yet, but some snow falling off a building looked like it was trying to get me.

JoeGirl – You and my caring husband both! OK, me too a little 🙂

5. XUP says:

Ya, kids have far less distance to fall and they're really spongy compared to us. Also, they're used to falling 12 times a day so it's no big deal. I hope you don't feel you have to do any other prat fall type things like have a grand piano fall on your head that someone was hoisting into a 20th story apartment with a big rope

Xup – Yes, my poor 5 year old seems to be always on the ground, but then she just hops right back up again.
    All I can say is that I am staying FAR away from our piano this evening, even though it's just on our ground floor.

7. …I wonder what your horoscope predicted that day? (still laughing…)