Introverts of the World Unite!

I thank Jennifer for the link to this article by Jonathan Rauch.

The article begins with: “Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?”

I read that and sighed a big FINALLY. This is an article about me. As a kid it was fairly typical that when a friend of mine came to the door to ask if I would like to play, I would say no thanks, I just want to stay home and read. As an adult I’m much the same. When I do the Myers-Briggs or similar types of personality tests, I come out at the absolute extreme end of the introversion scale. I do enjoy seeing friends and gathering with people, but not all the time, and I am mostly content to be home with my family. I have told Tony before that if it weren’t for him I would likely become a shut-in, and I have to say that I really do like the idea of a hermit shack most days.

In our family, Tony is a mild extrovert, Oldest Daughter is an extreme introvert just like I am, and Youngest Daughter is an extreme extrovert. On New Year’s Eve, we were at a gathering at a friend’s house. There were a lot of children having a grand time in the basement and on the second floor. Youngest was in the thick of it, enjoying it all. Oldest was with me in the living room with her face pressed inwards against a chair (and I kind of felt like joining her). It has been difficult to accommodate our two daughter’s personalities when one needs a lot of quiet time in the house, and the other would like to be surrounded by people all of the time. I still don’t think we have achieved the perfect balance for both girls just yet, and we likely never will.

The article quoted above further discusses how introverts are misunderstood, and perhaps even oppressed. This sounds extreme, but it is noticeable that the people in the workplace who are constantly talking in meetings are the ones who get promoted the fastest, compared to the people who are more like me. I may not speak up constantly at a meeting, but when I do, you ought to be listening because what I’m saying is important.

But when it comes to social media, it seems to me, in my non-scientific analysis, that the people who are the most active on Facebook, Twitter, and in the blogosphere are the introverts and I have been trying to understand why that is. I think it’s because social media provides introverts a way to connect with others, whilst alone in our own homes, and in our own timeframes. There is time to think up a thoughtful or witty reply, even when small talk doesn’t come naturally to us in a social setting. I feel like I am a smarter, funnier, and more interesting person in writing than I am in person.

There is no one type of personality that is better than another here. We just derive our inner energies through different means. But let’s all just work on understanding the other a little, shall we? Otherwise we, The Introverts, will have to take over the world, from the comforts of our laptops in our own living rooms.

This entry was posted in Blogging. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Introverts of the World Unite!

1. I never stopped to think if blogging/tweeting is an extroverted or introverted activity. I think I am more of an extrovert but the idea of putting me out there is a big challenge sometimes. (Particularly on twitter, so I am not a big fan of “tweeting” at all) I assumed most bloggers are extroverted “ME” people. I am curious to learn more about why you think most are introverted. I have a daughter and a husband that are introverted so I can relate to your parenting story. I too am trying to find balance for both girls…it is hard isn’t it?

Thanks for the Interesting comment MM. My analysis is completely unscientific and comes mostly from looking at my friends who Facebook and Tweet a lot versus those who don't. In general the more they are on these sites, the more introverted they seem to me. But there are definitely exceptions to this, and I hope some other people will let us know what they think.
    And yes, it's so hard finding balance for both girls when they are so different. Please let me know if you figure it out!

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Thanks Anonymous, but please note this post is my opinion only and definitely not scientific. Good luck with your studies.

5. XUP says:

Extreme extroverts are too busy doing stuff with people to spend much time on the internet. I'm kind of an introverted extrovert — at least that's what the personality tests tell me. I love being home and don't make much of an effort to be social, but when I'm at a party or something I can schmooze with the best of them

6. gryph says:

I'm able to be an extrovert (for example, the Grinch moment – oy). And I'm able to manage a meeting without feeling like I'm running a marathon of panic (although I'll sit listening and watching in most meetings). But I really find it all so exhausting that I dearly love my nights of locking the door behind me and just being quiet. Or of staying inside on a weekend day, all day, and not venturing out. Bliss!

Xup – I think that's exactly right that the extremes don't want to sit and chat remotely. They want to be in the pub or at a party.

Jennifer – I think we are a lot alike that way. I am happy to stay in all day if I can.

8. Kiera says:

OMG–your situation mirrors mine exactly–professionally and at home!

9. These services range from household chores like carpet
    cleaning; upholstery and mattress cleaning to duct,
    furnace, chimney and dryer vent cleaning; windows and awning cleaning,
    and various office cleaning services too. We now have windows that keep heat in the house during the
    winter and the cold air in during the summer. Whether or
    not you require heating system restore or basic upkeep, contacting an HVAC Air
    Duct Cleaning contractor can easily conserve you cash.

10. Hello, I want to sսbscribe for thiks blog to obtain newest
    updates, sso where can i ddo it please assist.

11. thots says:

Through being used to graphic advertising they have almost programmed their selves to ignore it.
    Scrolling to the right of the screen will display a list of messages with the
    deleted messages intact. If you really want to put your life back on track, don’t rely on text-messages in the middle of the night to do it.

12. WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for princess games

13. At some point in time we’ve all questioned why we need insurance if we are healthy
    but we all appreciate having solid insurance when we do fall ill.
    But the deeper the layer, the more difficult it can be identified and analyzed (Schneider & Barsoux, 1997).
    But most people over consume and take soy in different
    forms rather than its healthier original state.

14. Notably at least two other authors agree with points raised by the physicist.

In the past, you could download MP3 audio tracks from these videos but you had to use several steps and specific applications that had
    to be downloaded. Athletic scholarships for women were virtually non-existent prior to Title
    IX, now there are over 10,000 athletic scholarships awarded to
    women to compete at the collegiate level each year.

15. npo says:

Liberty Reserve was one of world’s largest web based payment processing and money transfer system.

In a compressed world of lethal weapons of all sizes and shapes, and with
    inter-continental logistics capability available to even the poorest of states, waiting around until murder strikes is simply an abdication of responsibility
    and ensures carnage. Once the guard is out of the way, head into Navarro and explore the base.

16. Ken says:

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found
    your web site unintentionally, and I’m surprised why this accident did
    not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

17. Hi there, always i used to check blog posts here in the early hours inn the morning,
    since i like to gain knowledge of more and more.

18. Howdy very cool website!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing ..
    I will bookmark your site and take the feeds
    additionally? I am happy to find numerous helpful info here within the publish, we want develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.
    . . . . .

19. download apk says:

Hi there, its pleasant post regarding media print, we all
    be aware of media is a wonderful source of data.

20. This article is in fact a pleasant one it assists new internet people, who are wishing for blogging.