Public Service Job Shuffle

I am so excited to be starting my new job next week. I think it will finally be a place that I can settle into and do some work that I will enjoy. I had worked for ten years in the private sector for a life sciences company. For most of that time I really liked my work. It was my first real job out of graduate school and I had some great opportunities there. But after ten years it was time to move on; I started to look to the government. I think it was a logical choice for someone who has deep roots here in Ottawa.

I soon found out that it is not a simple process to get a government job. Friends told me that it would take a minimum of year to complete a competition from start to finish. I am so glad that I didn’t believe that, because I would have been completely disheartened. It turns out that a year and a half later, I was in! On a one-year term… sigh. I took it and I liked it, but it was a term position, so two months later when I was offered a permanent job in a different area, I had to move on. I was really torn up about it though because I was quite sure that I was not going to like this new job… and I was right about that. The people were great, but it was just not a good fit for me. The work itself left me cold, and I was not even good at it, no not at all. It was a humbling nine months as I tried my best to not be terrible at what I was doing. I was miserable and grumpy and it was making me feel ill.

It took me a little while (things don’t move a whole lot quicker even once you’re in), but I have found something now that I think will be pretty good for me and I can’t wait to start. Wish me luck because I really don’t want to move again.

Oh, and if you need advice about getting into the government, you can feel free to contact me as it seems I have actually gotten quite good at it. Just be prepared for a long wait.

This entry was posted in work. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Public Service Job Shuffle

1. gryph says:

That's pretty good actually. I spent two years and a bit doing the agency-casual shuffle and writing competitions before I was screened into a pool that they were able to use to hire me. But I am glad for you, though I will pout, that you're going to a place that will hopefully be a good fit. 🙂

2. JoeGirl says:

So great for you, Fin!

Take with you a positive attitude, and inspiration to find excitement in every day. You’ll be wonderful!

Congratulations <3
    Joe

3. Tamara says:

awww! welcome to the blog world and good luck in the new job!

Best of luck in your new job…
    Kiera

Thanks All! I'll let you know how Monday goes!

6. zoom says:

Congrats! I could definitely use some pointers…I'm job-hunting for the first time in 19 years.

Hey Zoom,

I found for the government, you just have to spit back the words they use in their Essential and Asset Criteria of the posting. So if they want experience in counting beans, say that back to them in those exact words. That helps to get screened in. Use as many of the key words in the posting that you can, and study for any exams and interviews from the Statement of Merit Criteria. I found that interviews were more like exams too. They seem to find out about your personality and soft skills from the reference checks.

Note that I was applying for science jobs so I don't know if that would be true in other areas.
    Good luck with your search! It's not a fun process, I know.