There are a lot of things that I will miss now that my office has moved out of downtown Ottawa:
- Hanging out in Confederation Park at lunch
- Being close to all different types of restaurants
- Having a coffee shop on every corner
- Doing yoga on Parliament Hill
- Going to Rideau Centre at lunch for errands. (OK, I only went there once a year or so because I hate shopping, but still, I totally could go any day I wanted.
- My bicycle commute along the river
- Running along the canal at lunch
- Meeting downtown friends for lunch
- Being able to renew my health card on a coffee break, after having picked up a coffee on the corner of my choice
- Bank Street, Elgin Street, Sparks Street
- People watching
Things that I like about the move:
- Walking to work year round
- Passing Bridgehead on my way to work
- Running along the river at lunch*
- Having lunch with Tunney’s friends
- A revitalized Tunney’s Pasture that will be really really nice by the time I’m ready to retire
Things I won’t miss about downtown at all:
- Working in a building where elevators free-fall and stairwells are so narrow that taking the elevator is probably safer
Things that have been difficult to adjust to:
- Really bad cafeteria coffee
- Workplace 2.0**. i.e. Government cramming more people into smaller open concept spaces and telling us that we like it.
*Note that no actual runs along the river have happened yet. My inertia has been acting up like crazy.
**Yes, it really is called Workplace 2.0. I can’t make this stuff up.